Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Price of Used Small BGE

Tigerjam
Tigerjam Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How much should I pay for a decent looking (based on pictures), used small BGE? It doesn't look too old and appears to be in decent shape.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Here's a link to a very helpful site.I hope it helps,but you will need more info other then "it doesn't look that old" :)

http://bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Given this is only your 3rd post, I want to make sure you are aware that no matter what price you get it for the lifetime warranty does not convey....I would in my own opinion think less that $200 for a small would be a fair deal..depending on condition..
  • "Sparky"
    I bought this small off of craigslist for a friend of mine.Paid $40 for it,so I wasn't too worried about getting screwed :)

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

What are they askin for it?
  • Tigerjam
    Tigerjam Posts: 10
    They're asking $400, unsure what all includes( nest etc.) Haven't talked to them yet.
  • "Sparky"
    I don't know where you live,but i can get a new one for that price here in GA
  • WessB
    you can get a fest demo for less than that..with a warranty....let it pass....that said I haven't checked fest prices lately so I could be wrong on the price..but not by much...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Can you even buy a small at a fest? I looked at several of the upcoming ones and didn't see a small listed. Not arguing, just askin'...

That said, even here in CT, I don't think the price of a new one is much more than that. I'd pass.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Demo eggs prices will vary with your geography.

A demo egg in SoCal (where eggs are expensive) is
    Small : $ 430.00 + 8.75% sales tax = $ 467.63
    ** A savings of $217.47

I think the BGE warranty is a bit over-valued but it is worth more than $67.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Never underestimate the value of the warranty. I've had a handful of fireboxes, firerings, and grates replaced over the years.
  • WessB
    Honestly I haven't paid any real attention to whats being offered at todays fests as I am not looking to buy anymore eggs at this point..but I agree $400 used is crazy
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Way more than I would pay for used. I paid less than that for a new one 2 years ago.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Well obviously I think it's worth more than $67.

Warranty's have value for sure, just not as much as a lot of companies (like Bestbuy) like to make us think.
  • We did every size Egg as Demo's at this years Sunshine State Eggfest and will be doing all the sizes again next year in April. Any questions you can contact me by E-Mail.
  • WessB
    I don't believe BestBuy offers a "lifetime" warranty on anything they sell.....so not a good analogy...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Yea, and they sell it to you as an add-on.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Where do you live?
  • I agree with the rest of the crowd $400 is a bit high for a used small regardless of condition. I new one with a warranty can be had for about the same price. I have paid less for larges in good condition.
  • No, the cost of the warranty is incorporated in the price.

I don't get either of your points - the longer a warranty - the more value it has assuming the product does has a history of failing, as the BGE does - hence the warranty has value.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I wish they were selling the small BGE at this years Eggtoberfest. It looks like they are only selling the medium and large. I was going to buy a small demo BGE at the Eggfest this year. I know my local dealer will give me a good deal though.

OP: $400 for a small isn't a good deal. I have researched the prices of the Eggs (new/used) and $400 is too much for a used small one. I can walk in to my local dealer and get a new one delivered and set-up for less than $500(as others have said, if you buy used you forfeit the lifetime warranty--that is important to me). You can buy a nest for it for less than $100. I'm sure if you look around and call the dealers in your area you will be able to find a decent deal. Good luck.