Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Question

Options
Eggerman1
Eggerman1 Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put my 9 lbs pork butt on last night and I am leaving for the day, and won't get home until 5PM, the butt is 185 right now, so I either shut down the egg and just leave it on for another 8 hours and just hope, or take it off now and wrap in foil and then reassess when I get home. Thoughts????

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    At 185 you are out of the plateau...There's no way it can cook another 8 hours without drying out...I don't see where you have any choice other than taking it off now.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Here's the issue, at 185 it is still probably too tough to pull. You can double wrap in foil and put in the fridge. Tonight, stick the butt (in foil) in the oven and reheat to 200 and pull the meat.

If you shut the egg down you don't have control of the temp anymore and it may stay in an unsafe range for too long.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Your butt cook is almost complete I'm afraid you will over cook your butt if you leave it until 5:pm. Tim
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    if there is a fridge were your going i might wrap in foil and towells and into a cooler for 4 or 5 hours then int the fridge, it might help, i dont know. you might be chopping and saucing on the reheat or maybe in a crock pot with some sauce for a few hours later to get a pull
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    i have had moderate success shredding it when it is just at 185. sometimes you can't wait for it to hit 195-200+, and you just gotta make do.

it takes a little more work, but it is pullable. won't be the best butt you ever cook, but give it a shot. shred now and reheat later. my vote anyway
  • Eggerman1
    Eggerman1 Posts: 155
    Options
    Well I took it off, double wrapped it in HDAF, and just put it back on the egg to re-heat up to 200. Crossing my fingers, probably be chewy.

Thanks for all the help!
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    it would have pulled at 185....

just not falling apart. but still good.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Let us know one way or the other and the process. That way we can rule that out or in. ;) Tim