Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Found a Royal Oak source in Arlington, VA!!

Options
Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now is it really that much better than cowboy lump? I was doing some recon at some of the little markets in Arlington. Happened upon a supply at this Brazilian market right in the heart of North Arlington. They also have an insane Brazilian butcher setup in there. You best believe that I'll be grilling some brazilian sausage and steaks this weekend.

MP

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    well shoot. . ..i live in north arlington ... please tell ...name and location please!!!
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Hmmm, now I don't want to give my source completely away. If you know North Arlington then you know a restaurant called Tallula/Eat Bar. Half of the place is a restaurant and the other half is a lounge. Across the street there is a market called European Export/Import - Brazilian and European market. They only carry Royal Oak lump. Small place right on the corner.

Here is a link to there website.

http://www.brazilianportuguesefood.com/Portuguese-Food-Store-Grocery-Arlington-VA.php
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Just be careful. If it is made in Argentina it is unuseable except for very low temp cooks. So many sparks that it gets ash on your food. I bought 6 bags from Restaurant Depot a year ago and still have a couple left....it is really bad. Paraguay or US made is OK from my experience.

Chuck
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    Chuck, will it say on the bag where it is from?
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, I thought Royal Oak was the standard that everyone swore by. I'll have to examine the bag next time I go to that market.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    damn, know the place well, just never been in there ...i live out by east east falls church metro. ..but this place is about 2 blocks from where my wife grew up on north 9th street so i used to spend a lot of time in that neighborhood before my MIL died and we sold the house there. . .(remember 0llie's trolly and whiteys, laws antiques and the old sears)...still go over there with all the new shops and restaurants ...great neighborhood ...i will definitely check it out ..THANKS!!
  • walrusegger
    Options
    Max, I work right by the East Falls Church Metro...right on the FC/Arlington line, next to Bear Rock @ 500 N. Washinton St.
  • Chuck
    Options
    It will say it on the side of the bag about 1/2 way down. So far I have seen Argentina, Paraguay, and no marking (which I understand to be US made).
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOL. ..i know that intersection well...i'm just over the hill a block from the intersection of lee highway and sycamore street . ...i work in mclean...

who do you work for there?? not a lot of commercial stuff there?
  • Chuck
    Options
    It used to be the standard for me until this Argentina junk came in. Avoid the Argentina stuff and it is still good.
  • walrusegger
    Options
    It's a professional society for research administrators, SRA International, srainternational.org. We just moved about a month ago from Rosslyn. I must pass your house on my way to the gym (Planet Fitness) a couple times a week when I go at lunch!
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    The stuff I get from Wally World says made in USA.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    gotcha. . .i know SRA ...i work for MITRE over in mclean....i don't know where planet fitness (why would i know a place like that? LOL), but if you go up lee highway towards arlington, then yup, you go right by my place...and you must know all the good cheap places to eat in falls church and east arlington like anthony's, lost dog, stray cat, carribean grill, joe's, etc. ...
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I think mine is USA too. It's from Wally World as well. Seems there is a Walmart almost everywhere. RO shouldn't be too hard to find.
  • walrusegger
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the places to eat. I've hit a few, but always looking for more!

So, my curiosity got the best of me and ventured out at lunch to this place in Arlington. Really, really neat market. The RO is from Paraguay...don't worry, I only picked up one bag (only about 6-8 left up front, unless he's got more in the back). Also picked up some chimi chura sauce as I've heard good things, but never tried it. Picked up a green habanero hot sauce too that looks good. Finally, pick up some Argentinian choriso (1 lb of hot and 2lb regular). Looking forward to cooking some of it up tonight...stay tuned for pics!

The meat counter and coolers as you walk in looked like they had some good and interesting cuts. It would help big time if you can read spanish (which I can't). They also have a few variety of what looks like dried fish filets (huge) out in a box and they're heavily salted. I don't know much about this stuff, but would like to learn. Is this stuff dried? How do you prepare, etc...?
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    all sounds good!! ..btw, have you checked out the lebanese butcher shop and market there in falls church right on annandale road right off of lee highway?? best fresh lamb around!! i haven't eaten at the restaurant next door, but i hear its very good too
  • walrusegger
    Options
    I see that everyday driving in down 29. I'll have to pick up some at some point!
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    No problem. I actually live right by East Falls Church metro. The neighborhood is called Dominion hills. its about 5 blocks back from Lost Dog.
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Wow man, you don't waste any time now do you. The place is pretty cool. I didn't look through the spice aisle much, but I'm sure you could get some interesting marinades and spices. Likewise, they have all kinds of portugeuse cheeses and beers. Place is a gold mind for foodies. Likewise, brazilian cuts always taste better cooked over coal.
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    I always think its important to support your local businesses and a Brazilian/Portuguese market like this is one of a kind. I'm honestly surprised these guys survived the opening on the Whole Foods down the street, but I'm glad they did. I look forward to frequenting them for al lot of my BBQ needs from now on.

Its my b-day next week and I'm having some friends over for a BBQ this weekend. You best believe I'm going to raid the market for Brazilian sausage and skirt steak.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    yeah, you are close by as well!!...welcome to the neighborhood . .. i'll try and let you know the next time the virginian and i are doing a big cookout!!

do you have any kids at yorktown by chance?
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Actually the wife and I have only been married for a year so we haven't had any kids yet. I'm just turning 32 on Tuesday Aug 3rd so it may be time ti think about having some.

Let me know the next time you have BBQ.