Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs

Options
Virginia Jim
Virginia Jim Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife bought some regular beef ribs and I was looking for some help on how long to smoke them and at what temp? Anyone have any experience, please weigh in.

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Five to Six hours over a legs up platesetter and drip pan at 250 dome temp will put you in the ballpark. Test for doneness/tenderness by trying to lift the ribs up from the middle of the rack. They should be quite limp and start to pull away from the bone a little. You can stick the meat with a fork and twist too. If you want a temperature, 205 degrees is pretty close.

These still have a ways to go.
    109-0951_IMG.jpg

These are ready(maybe a little beyond ready) haha
    108-0833_IMG.jpg

For me, foiling with a little liquid for a while is optional, but it will give you a very tender rib if that's what you're looking for. I spritz with apple juice and cider vinegar too about every half hour after the first three. Sauce when you know the ribs are almost done. Edit: You MUST remove the membrane on the underside of these and it can be difficult. It is much thicker and tougher than pork ribs.

Hope that helps,

Mark
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    Indirect, slow and low. The lower the better. I usually smoke at around 230 for 6.5hrs depending on cut. There is the longer flat bones which cook faster vs the shorter thicker bones closer to the spine. Throw in a few hickory or mesquite chips. No need to foil beef ribs as there is plenty of fat to preserve juiciness.

I like the choice bones that come from the rib eye/prime rib roast. Sometimes stores run specials on the boneless rib steak/roast...those ribs are the best.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Dad-gum-it wrong spot.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    mmmm good!!!

I do them just like pork ribs. Mine took about 4 to 5 hours, raised grid (AR) and drip pan on the spider.

Cooked them till they were tender then took a cooks treat.

beefrib3done.jpg

beefrib3done.jpg

GG
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    April2005BeefBackRibs.jpg

I have not had a lot of luck with beef ribs unless they are really meaty. Seems the slimmer ribs are a lot of effort for not much payoff.

Our butcher carries beef back ribs and those are the only kind we'll cook.

For your rack, I'd cook indirect at 250-275 dome with a pan to catch the fat. Around the 3 hour mark, check for tenderness. I think the toothpick method is the most reliable. If the toothpick slides in and out like butter, they're ready. If there is a bit of a tug, let them go longer. Use your other senses, too.... sight and smell will tell you a lot.

With no picture to see your ribs, they could take 3 to 5 hours but in my experience, 5 hours is starting to push it.

Good Luck!

john
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Good info John. My first beef rib cook was in my early egg'n days and that cook was with beef ribs which didn't have much meat. That was one of the very few bad cooks I have had on the egg.

It took me 3 years to give the beef ribs another try. I watched for the bone pullback and used a toothpick then a taste.

The ribs were meaty and ended up being one of the best cooks I have done on the egg.

Kent
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Yeah a lot of people don't cook them just for that reason.... but when they're good, the rich beefiness is an amazing flavor.

john
  • Virginia Jim
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how they turn out.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Jim...

Use the search function and look for Beef Ribs. I just did a cook a week ago and Dr. Woo wallked me through it too!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=926641&catid=1

Lots of pics and info discussed that might give you some more context for your cook!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=927148&catid=1

good luck!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!