Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cookin up some AP Lang Pork Ribs

Options
KB
KB Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
His recipe has a couple of different stages. The first one is to smoke the ribs for 4 hours at 250 deg after coating them in some mustard and dusting them with a chile-sweet paprika spice mixture. My dome thermometer says its 210 deg while my DigiQ, with its thermometer on the grill, says its 250 deg. In the past I've placed the thermometer for the DigiQ up in the dome, and they read the same temperature. Is this a problem that the there is a 40 deg difference? This is my first time to cook at such low temperatures, and as it stands, I won't be eating until about 10 pm. I started too late cause I had to run some errands this morning and didn't trust leaving the grill with no one watching it.

I have a lot of time. The next stage of the cook is to wrap the ribs in aluminum foil with a brown sugar honey mixture in about 2-1/2 hours.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here nursing a cold one.

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'd tend to believe your DigiQ thermo over the dial thermo. Thermocouples can drift, but typically not more than a few degrees, and out-and-out failure for a t/c is very obvious. Clip the DigiQ thermo to the dome thermo for the best comparison. Even a few inches difference can mean major differences.

That said, I'm impressed you're doing APL's ribs. I've got his book, but haven't found the time to assemble all of the ingredients, tools, devices and items to put together a cook just yet. Let us know how they turn out.
  • Davecooksslow
    Options
    I did APl's Pork Loin for a local fundraiser (27# in 2 shifts) and the result was fantastic. Good luck, show some pics. Dave
  • KB
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. There are only two hard-to-find ingredients. I couldn't find the chimayo chile so I'm using another of his choices, Ancho chile. I bought it at a local grocers (Byerlys/Lunds) and it smells delicious. I also picked up some sweet paprika in contrast to Hungarian and Smoked.

Here's a photo of the apple sprayer and the two spices mentioned above.

AA%20Ancho.jpg

along with the first stage after 2-1/2 hours. Next is the foil wrap stage.

AA%20Ribs%20first%20stage.jpg
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Looks good so far, KB.

Wait...you gotta have fleur-de-sel. I think APL puts that stuff on his corn flakes in the morning...
  • KB
    Options
    LOL. I have les fleurs in the photo, but they're just for aesthetics. I think I found the one recipe in his book that doesn't require that ingredient.