Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get rub taste on chicken

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't know what it is with chicken. If you put a rub on a steak, whether Grilla or Cowlick or Montreal or even Savannah for all that, you get an entirely different flavor every time. When I put a rub on chicken breasts (under the skin, over the skin, and with special incantations), it vaguely gives off an essence of that rub, but not much. I coated 5 chickies with some Witchy Red and really rubbed it in. The chicken came out great, not dry, my favorite kind of chicken taste...but I'll be damned if I could taste even a hint of Witchy Red. I've had the same thing happen with Tsunami and whatnot. What is the deal with chicken??? Temp too high. Temp too low. Should I give this cheap Merlot to the chicken instead?[p]mShark

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]Hey, I just got through eating skinless, boneless breasts coated with Tsunami Spin. They were GREAT. I haven't used it for awhile cuz I was running out - conserving, ya know. Well, I just got a new shipment in this weekend.[p]Anyway ... I don't have the problem you're describing with chicken and rubs. I prefer skinless, boneless breasts which I douse with EVOO and liberally cover with the selected rub. When I say great, I mean ggGGGRRreeat! I'm really not a chicken/turkey eater, so they have to be special for me to eat them.
  • WudEyeDoo
    Options
    mollyshark,
    I know what you mean. My family loves just about everything that comes off the egg, however they just "like" the chicken. I haven't been able to get that "Wow, this is great!" reaction yet when I do chicken. [p]Bob

• Smokin Bob
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]I agree! I found that I had to marinade in my foodsaver with my Dizzy Pig Rubs as a main ingredient to get those flavors out and into the chicken![p]B o B
  • mollyshark,
    Slather that bird (spatchcocked, or larger individual pieces, with mustard and then massage with love, and the rub of your choice. Cook direct, raised grid at 350. You are going to like it.
    Best,
    Gary

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    mollyshark,
    No problem with taste when I spray the chicken with olive oil first. However, the flavor is on the surface; it doesn't ever get into the meat like smoke.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    marvin,[p]You know, your comment made me think a little. The smoke REALLY does get into the meat, but the rub doesn't. I wonder if a change of temperature for initial cooking would work. Going to ponder on this because I HAVE had chicken where the rub taste is more pronounced. At the first Texfest, we did chicken breasts with a variety of Ken Stone's rubs. There was definitely differences there..but I don't know if we did anything remarkable with the chicken. Had to be though. Anyone at Texfest #1 remember what we did with those chickens?[p]mShark
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Use more! [p]Lather. Rinse. Repeat. :-))[p]Seriously, I lay it on pretty good and can taste the flavor just fine. Spices do mellow with longer cooks, but other than that I have no idea why you are having these probs.
    See you in a few weeks.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ