Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Problems getting temp past 650

impag10impag10 Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Large BGE but never can seem to get over 650 degrees to cook new york strip...should I take the cast iron vent totally off the top?
·

Comments

• WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Yes if you want higher temps....BUT...you dont need any higher for a steak, either come up with a way to get the grid closer to the coals or mound the lump up higher in the center of the pile and you will get a killer sear without going to gasket melting temps...surprised you could actually get 650 with the DFMT on....NUKE tyemps arent necessary...doable "yes"..at a cost.."yes"..
    ·
  • Dito!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
    ·
  • walruseggerwalrusegger Posts: 313
    I do steaks with a very traditional direct set up and can't understand the need to get past 450-500. Oh and my original gasket is still very much in check.
    ·
  • impag10impag10 Posts: 58
    OK i had just read some posts about doing ny strip at 700-750 for 2.5-3 min each side then about 1-2 min with it all closed down. Looking for medium to medium rare. any suggestions?
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,665
    with a 450 dome I'll sear on the spider close to the 1200 degree lump with the dome open then on a raised grid to finish, dome closed
    ·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Many eggers are doing what you mentioned on a small or even a mini, which puts the meat much closer to the coals..like I said..you can use a spider or similar device to lower the meat closer to the coals and achieve the same results with a large without needing 750° dome temps...there is no one magical answer, to many options to acieve the same end result..work with what you have and find what works for you...
    ·
  • RVHRVH Posts: 523
    That's the ticket at our house. ;)
    ·
  • impag10impag10 Posts: 58
    thanks for all the kind advice!
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Here is my spider setup. The lump and be burning at 1100-1200 degrees under that grid. So i'm told I have never measured the temp. All this and a 400 degree dome. I get the best sear on a steak. :P Then I put in a raised grid and let it finish then rest it.

000_2280.jpg
    ·
  • beerguybeerguy Posts: 104
    That's it. I'm going home and cooking some red meat!!! Medium rare here I come!
    ·
  • beerguybeerguy Posts: 104
    That's it. I'm going home and cooking some red meat!!! Medium rare here I come!
    ·