Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help please

Options
Celtic Wolf
Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am at ft. Bragg with two dead digi q power supplies. Anybody nearby. Will to come to my rescue
Please caqll me at 252 657 9591

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Pete, I'm in Missouri or mine would be yours, but I may be able to help, depending on how much you want to get these two Gurus up and running.

The power supplies for these are 12VDC, so if you think they adapters are really dead and don't mind cutting them up, you can cut the wire you'd normally plug into the Guru off at the transformer box, strip back some of the wire, and connect it to your car battery through some jumper cables.

I can't find my damn voltmeter, so I can't tell you which wire is hot and which is common, but the Guru is likely protected against the power wires being swapped, so if the unit doesn't light up when you plug it in, try swapping the leads to your car battery.

The adapter is good for 2 amps, so expect your car to drain at a rate of about 3 amps or so with both Gurus plugged in...IOW, run your engine every couple of hours to make sure it doesn't drain your battery. I would probably unplug the gurus when you do that to prevent any nasty spikes from getting to them from the alternator.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Don't need them that bad :woohoo:

I just put the brisket in the two eggs without gurus... they are more forgiving when it comes to heat loss
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'm a wussy about sleeping on overnight cooks...I woulda done it :P

Good luck on the shindig, Pete.