Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Capacity Smoker Quandary

Options
BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some of my parties are starting get out of hand as far as number of attendees goes. For instance I've sent out invitations to about 100 people for a party on the 9th of October. If things go as the normally do, I'll expect about 60 to show up. That's a lot of people for one large to accommodate. What it translates into is that I start cooking this weekend, freezing the results, cook more next weekend, freezing again, and finishing up with an overnight on the 8th. I'll likely do a few more slabs of ribs on the 9th to create the illusion that everything is fresh cooked.[p]Well, needless to say, I need more than the 3 square feet of cooking space provided by my large with grid extender installed. I've been looking at a few options and I've narrowed my choices down to two; buy three demo eggs at Eggtoberfest or buy a double-wall, insulated competition cooker with a little over 17 square feet of cooking space. The cost is the same for three more larges (at Eggtoberfest) or one big-box type cooker. The insulated box cooker is very air-tight, fuel stingy, and cooks much like the BGE. It even comes with a BBQ Guru adaptor built into the firebox chamber.[p]Obviously, the question at hand is which way to go. I'm concerned about having to manage 4 fires at once, but intrigued by the option of having different cooking temperatures in different eggs. I'm stuck, folks! What pros and cons can ya'll think of for either option?

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]If you're considering buying 3 more large eggs, what you need is an assistant. I am available and have marginal references....
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    That's a tough one. I'm up to two large and a small egg, a small offset, a webber kettle and a gasser. Put a guru competitor on one large, pit minder on the other, let the small and webber go natural, constantly tend the offset, and the gasser--well, hold it in reserve. When I get all of these going my wife figures I've gone over the top. You do have a lot of flexibility, but a big pit would be nice. However, I don't think I could give up any of my eggs.

• EggMaster
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    There are some medium capacity smokers out there for around $400.00. I use one in combo with my egg. It is a low and slow type cooker but I can fit 8 nice sized butts or 6-8 racks of ribs if you use a rack to hold them. Just an idea.

• I think four Eggs would look better than a box cooker at a party. I've done some competition with four eggs and have thought about a box might have been better. I think the biggest thing is being able to have different temps and cook times.
    I have used several types of cookers including an offset on a trailer. Each one has it's good and bad sides.
    Bottom line is there is no best cooker it's what works best for you.
    We have not done any Egg parties but I feel your biggest job would be answering EGG questions.[p]Good Luck and Good Eggin !!!
    Poppasam

• BBQBluesStringer,[p]Buy a FE100.[p]Scottie

• BBQBluesStringer,[p]Wait for the XL
  • BBQBluesStringer,
    If you had multiple Large BGE's you could build one table to hold them all.[p]Can you imagine having a "4-holer" with all those Eggs lined-up?
    Bob

• The Virginian
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    The XL BGE, due out later this fall, has 75 percent more grill space than the large. Consider getting an XL, though that might mean waiting until next Eggtoberfest to get the best price. ON the other hand, even at full price I think it won't cost any more than 2 Large BGEs from Eggtoberfest. [p]Brett