Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nifty sifter gizmo - Lookout LR!

Options
chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
sifter.JPG
<p />Just kidding Lawn Ranger![p]I made this nifty gizmo to sift through my used lump when reloading my egg. As I scoop out used lump, I sift over a garbage pail letting the ash and small lump pieces fall through. I then dump the sifted lump into a bucket to use during reloading. It's more efficient than stirring my lump in the bottom of the egg trying to get it to fall through the grate, where I have to scoop it out through the vent anyway.[p]Oh, and BTW, Broncos vs. Chiefs tonight - Go Broncos![p]Chuck

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    chuckls,
    you painted it RED!
    the BGE gods will smite you, be careful.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    chuckls,
    How did I miss that one??? There goes Marina's college education. [p]Great idea, Man![p]Mike

• Jose'
    Jose' Posts: 48
    Options
    stike,
    Been thinkin. Why does not someone make an expanded metal basket that sits in the bottom of the egg. Just lift ouy and shake then return.
    Jose'

• Mortar board for an egghead. [p]Paint that thing green!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    chuckls,
    fancy looking sifter there, dude! I was trying to see what part of a Corvette you made that from!!!
    I actually use a more simple approach - a few quick stirs with my Lawn Ranger grill lifter and the used lump is ready to go. OTOH I have a simple piece of 1/2" hardware cloth - about a 2 x 3 piece - which I merely put on the ground and pour my lump when the bag is getting down low. A couple quick shakes and the dust and tiny pieces fall thru. I then pour the rest back into my coal bucket. (For those younger folk a coal bucket is an ideal item for a BGE. It is oval in shape and one side is higher like a snout so you can easily pour your lump in vs throwing it in. Antiques are available but hey I bought a brand new galvanized one at a local seed store for 12 bucks and I'll never use anything but the coal bucket.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    chuckls,[p]I like your idea. Another idea is that if you have a restaurant supply store in your area, you can buy a Chinese wok scoop. There are various sizes, and I bought one that is about five inches in diameter. I use it to scoop thru all the old lump. It lifts the useable chunks out and lets the ash and little stuff fall to the bottom. I dump the good chunks in a bucket, clean out the remnants, toss the old stuff back in, and I'm good to go.[p]Paul
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Jose',
    Good point.[p]I stir and stir like a freak grinding the ash and little bits thru the fire grate.[p]...also, i was thinking of making a basket for the large which would hold the lump up higher, closer to the grill, for searing steaks, etc.[p]I wonder if the radiant heat of the lump at 800 degrees matters much if it's closer to the meat or down low...[p]but it seemed that getting the lump up closer might save lump and give a great sear

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante