Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Decided on Lamb Recipe--Ping Gatorbait/Realgem

Options
bw
bw Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi---after several very helpful posts from last week in regards to doing my first rack of lamb on the BGE, we have finally decided on one that posted to me from GATORBAIT who I think got from REALGEM.

Grilled Rack of Lam with Pinot Noir Marinade (yummy)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=866110&catid=1

I just have a couple of questions:

*How long to cook @ 350 after searing for 2 min?
*How much rack of lamb to get to feed 6 people?
*Do you cook with therm probe in or just check periodically?
*Can you marinade over night or better just the 2hrs?

Thank you all so much for all your help and we will let you know how it comes out.

Bev

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    never cooked them but have a question, how big are the racks your finding, the ones i see look like maybe a pound and a half, that would mean a couple racks for 6 serving three ribs each, i think theres 8 on a rack but have seen smaller
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I've made that recipe a number of times and can attest to it's yumminess. The racks that we get at Costco have 8 chops in them. We usually have 2 each, but some bigger eaters may have 3 or 4. I would probably do 3 or 4 racks, the leftovers are delicious too.

I wouldn't marinate them overnight, rack of lamb is a tender cut to begin with and the meat can get mealy with too long of a marinade. Also I do not use a probe, just my handy Thermapen. I think I roast for about 15 - 20 minutes for med. rare (pull at 130).

Hope this helps and good luck.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Your posted link shows small chops. We call them Lamb Pops.
    They are great but they are small. Almost a one big bite per rib.
    I have never served as a meal. Only a couple racks for pre meal snacks.
    I would say at least half rack per person but many people would easily eat a full rack of trimmed lamb pops.
    I like to cover the bones with foil for the sear. They burn easy.
    The smaller lamb pops I use thermapen but the larger racks I will use leave in therm probe after the sear.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Bev

That is a great looking recipe, I hope I get to make it someday. I have not seen our friend reelgem on line for a long time and have been meaning to contact her. Your questions gave me a good excuse and I have dropped her an enote (brief email). It looks like you are getting some great help already. I will try to add my 2¢.

I'm like reelgem and cook my lamb to an internal temperature like I would a steak. Being red meat like a steak and the doneness levels being comparable I use the same internal temps. I like both my steaks and lamb rare to med. rare and shoot for 120º to 125º with a short rest once off the grill.

I love lamb and depending on the size I my self usually can eat at least 4 loin lamb chops. I think a rack per person would be very generous. I would ask them how many the would like and serve them that amount. I would be hoping for a few left overs for a few killer sandwiches the next day! ;)

For the temperature you can go either way depending on the type of thermometer you have. As said previously with a Thermapen or other good instant read you can check on the fly. If you only have a meat type thermometer that allows for the probe to be left in then you can go that route. Leaving the probe in can make turning the rack a little more tricky so keep that in mind. Spot checking with that type of thermometer is to slow till you get a good reading and your grill temperature would be all over the place.

The first time I make these I will go the 2 hours and do them as close to what Anne did in her recipe. The second time I make them I will have a better idea.

Looking forward to seeing your cook, I bet they are great.

Gator

• bw
    Options
    GATORBAIT....thanks for the info. You stated at the end that you would do the 2 hours for the first time. So that means after the sear cook them direct @ 350 for 2 hours turning every so often? WOuld this burn them? Should we do indirect?

I will probably do 3-4 racks, just found out each rack has about 7 chops so that should be good for 6 people.

Sorry to bother you with all these questions.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions :)

Bev
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    2 hours is the marinade time, thats going to be a relatively quick cook.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Bev

fishlessman is correct, I meant 2 hours in the marinade. 2 hours on the grill would be a disaster. Again fishlessman is correct, this will be a quick cook with probably no more then a few minutes per side. When I do loin lamb chops, lets say 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" thick they may take about 4 minutes per side and I would check them before that. I can always return them to the grill if they need more cooking. I dislike over cooked meat and would rather be safe then sorry. Cooking to a specific time is not very reliable, cooking to an internal temperature is. It takes the guess work out of it. I have never done racks so I can't be any more precise. I hope this helps. Questions are good, if you have more please don't hesitate.

Gator

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Bev.... Marinate just a couple hours....Red Wine (Cab or Pinot Noir), garlic, salt & pepper. Grill direct (I stabilize egg at 400*)...get it seared well, probably about 5 minutes per side. Move the the edge of the grid, and cook to 122* for med rare. Allow a 10 minute rest before carving. (the carryover will bring the lamb to about 128-130*). As others have said, this is a quick cook. Start to finish probably 20 minutes. And yes, you can wrap the bones in foil so they don't burn....I just usually lay a piece of foil under the bones on the grid.
    It'll be fantastic! Just like cooking a steak, but you don't need "nuke temps" by any means.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

LC, do you give lessons on being so succinct? Nice job! :cheer:

Gator

• bw
    Options
    Thank you all sooooo much.. Tomorrow is the big day and today I will be getting the racks. Wish me luck and I will let you know how it turns out..Thank you again for all your help!

Bev
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Looking forward to seeing your post Bev. I drool every time I even think of that recipe. If I was cooking for more than myself I would have cooked it a long time ago.

Hope you have a great meal,

Gator