Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket fat up or down with platesetter

Options
Purpose
Purpose Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I know this is an age old debate, but does the platesetter and drip pan obviate the benefits of fat side down with a brisket?

Comments

• wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    The purpose of placing the fat side down is simply to help protect the brisket from the heat.

On a BGE, fat side down! ;)

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I agree with Texas. I always go fat side down, and they always turn out great. Fat cap up does NOT melt and get absorbed by the brisket, thereby making it more tender and moist. Fat side down will however provide a heat barrier, thereby protecting your brisket from drying out.
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Options
    Also, if you inject, be very careful not to puncture the bottom fat cap.

Don
  • Purpose
    Options
    Thanks all, much appreciated.

will post results this weekend.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    if you measure temps in an egg with a plate setter with drip pan and grid. ...there is more heat up in the dome than at the grid level. . .this is a proven....the heat radiates up the sides of the egg, around the dome and then down on the meat ....not up through the plate setter and especially if you have a drip pan there too. .. ...i put my briskets in fat side up so that the fat is protecting the meat from the radiant heat off the dome. . .i've found that works the best for me over the years give that the heat in the dome is usually a good 20 - 25 degrees hotter than at the grid level. ...

just my 2 kopeks worth ...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i would cook it fat down with a pork butt dripping on it ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Ok...I'm not a Brisket expert...(though I do live in Texas)...but on an Egg, I agree wuith you also Max!

I would say though...heat does radiate from below...(and depending on your set up) there can be good airflow below the Brisket) but as you say...not near to the extent of the radiant effect of the dome once the egg is stabilized at temp!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Purpose
    Options
    This is interesting, and basically why I asked the question. I have noticed this as well, and it is why I cook my shoulders with a thin layer of fat on top.

That said, I have also noticed that my maverick reads a hotter temp at the grid level than my dome thermometer. (have tested it once in boiling water and it was accurate). But given that the maverick is always at the edge and therefore not directly over the plate setter (because the meat is in the center),this does not surprise me.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    if your maverick is over the edge, then it is catching the direct heat coming up the edges ...make sure that probe is at least sitting over one of the 'legs' of the plate setter so its protected form the direct heat. ...that will make a difference. ...
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Options
    Max,

Do you have any trouble with the grid pulling off some of your bark when you remove the brisket? Also... I assume you don't inject? Many folks view the fat cap as being a barrier to their injection running out the bottom of the brisket.

Don
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    I always go fat side down because I want the bark to be formed nicely and not have grill marks on it.

Also have you measured how much heat is reflecting down from the dome at grid level versus the heat coming from the plate setter? Your average Brisket is about 2 to 3 inches. Is the heat coming down for the dome that far? I doubt it, but I have never measured it. Convection heat is different from radiant heat as you well know.

All the heat debate aside I still prefer my bark to be "Grid Mark Free".

See you at EGGtoberfest my friend.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    That's why you're a Champ...me Chump..lol!!

I usually set up my "(we'll just call it a radiant barrier) with a pan...well below the brisket, so I have lots of space below the beefer.
    In effect i try to place the brisket at approximately the same distance from the top and pan...make sense?

As for the Gridmarks...i never really thought of that to be honest...(guess you can tell I don;t compete)...lol!!

Thanks for your take Bobby!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    you make some good points bobby...i'm not that technical to have measured exact heats at those points ... i just know that when i set my guru at 225 at the grid, my dome thermometer is running anywhere from 250 - 275 depending on which large egg i'm using (and yes, i've calibrated my dome temp thermos)....

as far as grid marks, i usually put the brisket onto a cold gris, so there is no chance of getting grid marks on the brisket. ..i also never have any problems with the brisket sticking to the grid or with getting good bark...