Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baby back ribs

Options
CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have cooked a few racks but never on the BGE.

How long is baby back ribs typically cooked on the egg?
I heard I don't need to foil on the BGE?

I am going to cook it and then foil it, throw in the cooler, about 90 minutes drive and serve at the park. First time BGE ribs and first time serving friends, hopefully it'll taste good!

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    with a calibrated dome thermometer...cooking indirect at 250 dome, you should have them done in 5-6 hours. No foil needed. until you go to hold them. If you did want to foil them during the cook, the 4th hour would be a good time. Then put them back on with no foil to firm them back up a bit. Sauce for the last half hour or so. They are done when they will fold over a pair of tongs, when held from the end of the rack
  • CaCook
    Options
    Thankss 5-6 hours is longer than I expected.
    I used to smoke 4 hours for baby backs and 6 hours for spares on my old smoker.

Also, I take them off the grill when the bone is revealing about 1/4"
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I'd cook them longer than 4 hours, but that's just me. I also foil sometimes. The results are amazing with the EGG and ribs. Enjoy. Anyone who ever eats them all say it's a best ever. My egg has served me well. Anyways, most any grill, should have similar times if cooked at similar temperatures. Perhaps the moisture retention of the food cooked on the egg may change things as it doesn't get dried out as can happen on other smokers. Good luck. It'll all work out in the end.

Bump up the temp a bit if you need to finish quicker. It is what it is.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    when you foil them before you serve them, i find they become almost "soggy" if that makes sense. if you do foil them, i'd fire up the grill and let them sit on there about 20 minutes or so at about 325. this is what we did with the rack of car wash mike ribs i brought my dad this weekend. after he cooked his chicken on his egg, he threw the ribs back on to "tighten" back up.

make sense?

edit: plus, i've noticed when i foil them, i have far less control over whether they are over-cooked or not. last time i foiled, the ribs were falling off the bones. not what i was looking for. i guess if i cooked ribs every weekend and foiled every time, i'd learn, but i think it's safer for me to go foil-less.
  • CaCook
    Options
    How much hickory chunk should I mix in with the lumps?