Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any Hy-Vee customers here?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Tuesday Hy-Vee will open it's 224th store which will be here in a new huge building. They are claiming to cut quite a path through local competition with Kroger, Schnuck's, Cub Food and of course WM. They are new to our market - any opinions here on their departments, prices, butcher shop, pizzeria etc?

Then in a couple more months Fresh Market is opening their store. Sounds good for us, huh?

Comments

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    We have one here in town. They run great sales for a couple days a week. Just a few weeks ago they had spare ribs for a buck a lbs. Just watch for the sales & you can't go wrong. Here in town they run a sale flyer every week that comes with our local paper.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    We have Hyvee in our area we like fareway's meat dept. better but they have great fresh fruit and vegetable and some meat sale are good I had some of thier $1 a # spares and they were awfully fatty and big bones almost like a very big hog
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Like them and hate them at the same time.

One trend I have seen from Hy Vee is the market share of name brand products shrinking and replaced by Hy Vee brand. I suppose that is fine, but there are some items I have used for contest BBQ and they are no longer carried. The quality on some of the replacement is not good enough.

Watch stuff like cheese and produce. Can go bad overnight.

But I do like the selection of stuff they have in general. They are the main grocery chain here. There cafeteria is pretty good especially the Chinese food.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I really like the pepperoni from the Deli Dept. for pizzas! Diloussa (?) brand . . .

edit: The store in Manhattan, KS had skirt steak, but I had to ask for it as it was not displayed in the meat counter.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Nice store. I shop the Hy-Vee in Peru Ill. Best place in town that I know of.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Several Hi-Vee's in KC's Northland. Best service in town...ask someone about an item and they will walk you to it... without asking. Selection is better at Hen House (They carry Blues Hog and other sauces for half the price of BBQ stores). Hy-Vee meat is OK but they had no standing rib roasts when I was looking for one. (Went to Price Chopper and the butcher asked me if I wanted it boneless, bone in, or trimmed and tied back on!) Wanted to cook short ribs this weekend but Hy-vee was out. (Left with 2 slabs of babybacks, though.)
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    It's a love hate for me too here in Missouri. They have a pretty broad selection, good customer service, produce is average, meat is above average, prices are above average, meat prices are on the high side but top stuff. However, regardless of the pricing they they outstrip the competition, including Walmart, whom for having 2 of the Walton Sisters here as their home town has three of the worst walmarts in existence (expecially the groceries). So I try all of the other stores (we have about 6 different chains here) and keep going back to HyVee every weekend...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - now Clay...fess up, buddy...are you telling me that you drive clear down from WI to shop at a Hy-Vee in Peru, IL? If so - then NEXT time drive on down to Dunlap! only about 80 miles from there!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Thanks for the invite. :)
    Hope to see you at Eggwegofest.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    They have numerous stores around me and have shopped their for decades. Their meat prices are higher then Sam's except when the run a special. Their hamburger is nothing special but then again neither is Sam's. Overall a good store but higher prices then Wally World.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    Fareway meats for the the win.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    HyVee is a great company, and has good prices, but their meat leaves a lot to be desired. Fareway has a much better meat selection IMO. I have two big issues with HyVee meat. 1. They usually carry Hormel for their Pork (at least here in Iowa where I live). All of the Hormel pork I've seen is injected with additives to keep it looking pretty longer. I don't like the taste of the additives, and won't smoke on the egg with it. Hormel even injects their baby back ribs. 2. Their Blue Ribbon Beef is garbage. Buy the Amana or CAB if available. Blue Ribbon is a grade label they petitioned the USDA for. Blue Ribbon Beef is a combination of high grade Select, and low grade Choice. You are almost assured of never getting a great steak from HyVee. Good, probably, but not great. I was a QC supervisor on the production line for all HyVee Blue Ribbon Beef produced in the US, so I'm very aware of what their Blue Ribbon Beef is. Last issue with HyVee Meat Dept, is almost all they purchase is "Case Ready" products. Almost no actual meat cutting. Fareway still employs meat cutters. For the record, I buy everything but meat at HyVee. If I'm cooking on the egg, I buy the Amana Beef, or go to Fareway or Costco. Just my two cents worth.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thank you - same as inside information to me!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I thought it was a store for Iowans. :P I only see them when we are hunting outa state.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Must be deer hunting. Lord knows there aren't any pheasants left.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    We've left the birds alone for probably 6-8 years now, in those parts. Plenty here in MN and then the Dakotas a couple times a year. Never pay hunt though. Knock on doors and bring smoked salmon. ;)