Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

please help don't ruin Francis butt roast

Options
BigAL
BigAL Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My lump went out when meat got to 165.( I was taking a nap) Now I have meat back to 172. It got down to 150(the meat) :-( how high do i try to take it? I am worried about drying it out. It was only 4 lbs to start with and has been going since 8 ish this morning.
P.S.
The rain rain bands are still trying to get my egg, but the egg is winning![p]Please give adice as to when to pull my meat off.
Thanx
Alan in St pete Fl

Comments

• Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Options
    Since the meat temp has been up and down, the usual temp targets may not be valid.
    Try the old traditional test: when you can pull the blade bone out, it's done.
    If dry is your concern, use the f-word.

• BigAL
    Options
    mikey,
    Thank you for the adivice. Hitting 180 now and I think I will give it a few more mins and try to pull on the bone. Should it come out like a rib or a little tougher?
    Alan

• Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Options
    guess it depends on how you cook your ribs! The meat will be definetly pulled away from the bone, and you shouldn't have to hold the butt with one hand while you tug on the bone. I usually cook 'em to nearly 200, so I'd leave that one to 190 before trying to pull the bone out. A little too long won't hurt it, and if it looks dry, wrap it and let it sit for a while.
    Don't worry about purity of technique, you're trying to save supper.

• BigAL
    Options
    mikey,
    Thank you, thank you, TOTAL perfection. The bone came out and left the meat on the egg....I was getting concerned after tending this meat all day during our "sunny" weather here in Fl.
    Once again, thank you for the help. Some very hungry, wet people are enjoying the pulled BBQ now. :-)