Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs Newbie

Options
Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Because of popular demand, I am going to cook some ribs this weekend as opposed to TREX steaks. However, I have never cooked ribs before in my life. I have read up on the 3/1/1.5 method, and it looks pretty good. One question I have though, is how many ribs should I buy. There will be five hungry adults, and I have a large egg with grill extender. [p]Also, I currently have some Slap Yo Momma rub put together. Is it appropriate to use on ribs, or should I use something else. Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    Doug,
    There are probably a hundred or more "methods" for cooking ribs, with each having dozens of variants. I've gotten good results simply cooking spareribs using indirect heat for 4 to 5 hours with a dome temp of 275°-300°. No peeking until 4 hours have elapsed. A chunk of hickory goes into the pile of lump when the ribs go on the grill.[p]If you don't have a plate setter or other way of going indirect, I believe there's a recipe for direct cooking ribs in the recipe pages of this site.[p]If you use your grill extender, the ribs on the upper rack will likely cook faster than the ones on the lower rack. I prefer to use a rib rack on the grill, with a drip pan below the grill on the plate setter. This way all the ribs are more or less at the same temp for the same amount of time.[p]The rub you mentioned ought to work with ribs, though it's got way too much sugar and salt in it for my tastes.[p]With ribs, it's hard to say how much to put on the grill, since the amount of meat can vary so much depending on how they're trimmed, where they came from (some of the imported ribs are notoriously meat-free), etc. If you've got five hungry adults to feed, and you're not cooking any other meat, I'd say go ahead and load up the grill with ribs. If you've got leftovers, be happy. Better too much than too little. Maybe someone here with more rib experience can shed more light on this aspect of your question. [p]HTH,
    Bob

• ShortRib
    Options
    Doug,
    Two racks of SPARERIBS. Three if you are using babybacks.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Doug,
    figure at least a half rack per person minimum!