Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Chicken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 1.49lb fresh whole chicken and I am looking for recommendations on how to cook it this weekend. Any suggestions? I always seem to cook it the same so I am looking for something fresh![p]Please help.

Comments

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Tim Pratt,[p]Well, if it only weighs 1.49 lbs, I'd be sure not to invite any guests ;~) What have you tried in the past, so we don't suggest anything already done before? ...cause there's a 1000 ways to cook a chicken!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bbchicken.jpg
    <p />Tim Pratt,
    Beer butt, direct at 300-350 until done. Coat with olive oil and a good rub. Open up a can of beer place the bird on top and enjoy.[p]CWM

• Tim Pratt,
    A 1.49 lb whole chicken. That's the size of a rock cornish game hen. No matter. My favorite way to do either is on top of a beer can, or in the case of a RCGH, a small can of pinnapple juice. Rinse the bird and pat dry. Remove innards. Oil liberally with olive oil. Sprinkle on your favorite rub. Put the bird in/on a bowl or plate, cover with plastic wrap and return it to the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours. Remove the bird from the fridge and allow to come to room temp while getting the fire started and egg ready. Start fire and set up for indirect cooking.
    Cook for 60-80 minutes at 350. Check for doneness by the usual ways. I like to shake hands with my birdie's legs
    Enjoy!!!!!!

• jrterrier
    Options
    And when you are done eating the chicken, make a soup from the carcass. I did a soup last night from our last spatchcock chicken, and wow... was that ever good. The smoked flavor added a wonderful flavor, and was very tasty. First I boiled up the BGE'd carcass, in chicken broth and water until fall apart tender. (I added some left over meat too, so it was a really meaty soup.) Allow that to cool, remove the bones, keeping the tender morsels of meat in the juices. Returned the pot to the stove, and brought it back a boil. I added about 14 frozen pot stickers (home made ones are tastier but I was on a time crunch). Noodles would work well in place of the pot stickers. Boiled that until pot stickers or noodles were done. I then slightly thickened the broth with cornstarch and water, like you would thicken a gravy. Added chinese stirfry veggies, a few drops of sesame oil, and dinner was ready. Egged chicken soup.
  • Luvmyegg
    Options
    Tim Pratt,
    My favorite way is to chop some rosemary, lemon zest and garlic together and stuff a small amount under the skin of the breast and thighs. Rub chicken with olive oil inside and out. Season inside and out with salt and pepper. Prop on top of a soda can filled with water. Place in a baking dish and grill indirect with a platesetter at 425 until breast registers 165 - 170ish. If you can - place some garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs in the cavity along with the can for better flavor.

• jackie
    Options
    Tim Pratt,
    Cut the back out Spatchcock style and put it in a big plastic bag( put in BBQ sauce leave 4hrs) and cook like you would normaly. The just before you take it off brush on extra BBQ and glaze on BBQ you'll love it.