Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

simple corn on cob recipe

jon c
jon c Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anyone have something for this????? THANKS

Comments

• otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    We pull back the shuck, strip the silk then recover and tie up. Soak in water for a few then on about a 400 grill till done, turning four times. Then salt and butter. Simple.

As a variation recently we smoked them using hickory with the shuck and silk removed. After cooking we prepared them like old style cut corn only this was already cooked and smoked. Fantastic.

Cut corn is normally prepared from a raw cob, first you cut then you scrape.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    jon....There are 102 ways to do corn on the egg. :) Some do it in the husk, we prefer ours grilled direct. Just enough extra virgin OO to give it a sheen, some S&P... Onto the grid direct. Roll every couple minutes...takes about 10 minutes total. This particular batch was topped with some butter, chili powder, and freshly shredded parmesean. (don't turn your nose up till you try it....lol) Have fun with it.

DSC00923.jpg
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Only 102? :) I am going to try that. I usually add butter and Raging River.

Mike
  • This sounds weird, but I swear it's great. Brush mayo on your cleaned fresh corn, then sprinkle with S & P, your favorite rub (any of Dizzy Pigs), then grated parmesan cheese. Wrap in aluminum foil and throw on the egg.

Give it a try, and don't tell anyone about the mayo - (you can't taste it after it's cooked).

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    LC, we like a simple butter compound with finely diced Chili peppers in adobo sauce on cooked corn. Finish with cojita cheese.

The mayo, cojita and cayenne on corn is a favorite too.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

On the egg corn is fantastic.

I used to soak but no longer. I just take the corn as I get it and put it on the egg.

I have cooked them at 300° dome for 20 to 30 minutes. To as high as 400°, raised grid for about an hour.

One was soaked for 15 minutes and the other wasn't.
    corn1_400.jpg

corn2_400.jpg

You can tell which was not soaked by the husks. Couldn't tell the difference when eating from either piece.

GG
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Gene, that sounds wonderful. I'll have to give that a try. I like the Mexican twist. Maybe some day you'll share your coveted cornbread recipe?
  • Crimsongator
    All you have to do is ask (notice the absence of Jiffy mix)

Jalapeno Cornbread
    Ingredients:
    2 cups self rising cornmeal
    3 Tbs sugar
    2 Eggs
    1/3 cup oil
    1 can (16 oz) cream corn
    1 cup cheddar cheese
    Jalapeno peppers to taste - finely diced
    1/2 cup onions - finely diced
    Milk
    Instructions:
    Mix ingredients (except the milk) thoroughly. Add enough milk to make the mix the
    consistency of pancake batter.
    Bake at 400* until done. Once a knife or fork comes out clean, the cornbread is done.
    Let cool and serve with fresh butter.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Crimsongator wrote:

Let cool and serve with fresh butter.

CG, I can't believe you put that last sentence in there!!! Let it cool!!!! Nothing like HOT CB wit butter oooozin' outta it!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Rats Gene, I thought it ws going to be easy peasy using Jiffy mix.......you're a deceptive bugger! :laugh:
  • Crimsongator
    Agreed but it needs to cool enough to get out of the skillet and cut. It can still be warm but it is hard to slice when hot.
  • jon c
    jon c Posts: 2
    Thanks to everyone, I will be grilling my first corn on an egg tomorrow, I enjoy the egghead forum as much as the Corvette Forum
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Just add that I've taken to soaked ears on direct, then shuck. Seems the silk comes off much easier than precooked; removing corn silk is one of my least favorite things to do, right behind prepping fresh shrimp!