Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you marinade your brisket?

Options
Kokeman
Kokeman Posts: 822
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a 8 pound brisket for the 4th. This will be my first. (I usually do butts) Should I marinade it or not? If so, what should I use? A friend that has an egg suggested marinading with beer, veggy oil, and pepper. It seems to simple of a marinade. :unsure:

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Never tried it.I just apply rub and cook.I don't see what marinating would hurt.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I don't. Don't think it'll suck though. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've heard of several brines/marinades for brisket, including covering in white sugar or using Dr. pepper.

Me, I do a quick salt, pepper, and cayenne dusting. then toss it on, shut the lid, and walk away. No mops, no sauces, no nothing until it's done.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I've tried a couple marinated. You could definitely taste it, but the general consensus among the folks who ate them was that it didn't add enough to make the extra expense, time, and trouble worth it.

-John
  • Minneapolis Smoke
    Options
    I find the marinade doesn't work nearly as well as a spice rubbed brisket. The flavor just isn't right and it can change the consistency of the meat if it is acidic. Here's my rub:

1T coarse salt
    1T chile powder
    2t sugar
    1t fresh ground black pepper
    1t ground cumin

I also cook mine in a foil pan and baste every other hour and when done pour the collected juices over the brisket. The run adds fantastic flavor, creates the dark bark you want on a brisket and makes incredible drippings.