Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini egg?

Options
rzrrob
rzrrob Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What the largest butt you mini owners have cooked or what have you crammed on it

Looking to maybe buy one as a second to go alond with my xl

Comments

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I do a lot of spatchcocked chicken but no butts yet. I think if you put too much on it the airflow is restricted and the temp drops. It's a great little grilling machine though. I made a 2 1/2 lb cowboy steak that turned out fantastic. :)
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I would suggest a small to go with your XL (unless you have yuor heart set on a mini). I have a mini and can't imagine anything larger than a 3 or 4 lb butt fitting on it. Now you have to figure out how to set it up indirect.

With a small, go get a platesetter and you can be in business, much more versatile with the larger size.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I have a mini but if I am doing butts and low and slow that would be my last choice of eggs... we do cook on the mini more than any of our other eggs and do everything from aptzr to main course to desserts but nothing that is a long cook. they hold about a cup of lump and burn great for dinner or an hour or two but not the time to do a butt with out reloading. I am not saying it can not be done but if I am doing that I want left overs for the freezer and plenty for the group. I am the first one the champion a mini but not for this :)
    a small at least as Gene has noted and even then I would go up to a med.
  • rzrrob
    rzrrob Posts: 162
    Options
    Sounds like it the small may be the way to go
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    What Gene and Julie said

I started out with an XL, added a Small, and the mini came third.

I use the Small and mini a lot but if only adding one, I would go for the Small
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I would EGGree that the small is a good choice.

Ribeye

RIBEYE2DSCN0211.jpg
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Can you do it on the mini, yes. Can you do more food and more effieciently on the small, yes. You can also get the CI grid for steaks, pizza stone for pizzas and have enough room to cook side while the XL is on another cook. The small is very portable and goes camping with us.

I bought the mini because I wanted it and it cooks steaks fabulously, but so does the small.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
  • labdaddy
    labdaddy Posts: 3
    Options
    Go with a small, I have a large and I bought a mini for tailgating, if I had a do-over I would get the small. I think perfect for me would be something between the two as the mini is always just a little too small and the small needs to be a little more portable. Another thing, I have yet to get my mini to hold a consistent temp below 325 F, that said I love it for searing steaks.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Took the mini on vacation (large and small just to big).
    The grill at the house went out and had to finnish off 4 lbs of steak on the mini. It did it, but was at the top end of weight.
    Lucky for me had abt's going on the mini at the time....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi LabDaddy
    I totally agree, I have the Mini, Small & Large. I use the Small 99% of the time, the Large for when I do big cooks with friends & family and the Mini for just a steak or couple filets on HIGH. Had no problems with temps on Mini though but I never use it for longer cooks than an hour or so. I think most people would use and like the small the best. It does plenty of food and is good on lump consumption especially if you are doing low & slow. I do a 8-10lb Butt on clay saucer with drip pan and V-Rack @ 225 for 10 hours and never refill lump or even open it till Butt hit's 195 on remote therm. Small's are most useful IMHO
    They are all good as long as you are Grillin & Chillin
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997