Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ss draft door

Options
lakebndegg
lakebndegg Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just became the owner of a dinosaur egg (i beleive it is a 1998). Where can I get a ss draft door for it? It's a small
Will the new eggnest fit the pre 2000 eggs?
Thanks

Comments

• WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    Congrats on the new acquisition!
    The ss draft doors are available from the mothership, that is where I purchased mine. They should also be able to answer your question about the nest.
  • lakebndegg
    Options
    I'll give them a call
    Thanks
  • Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    Options
    We just finished "refurbing" an older egg (approx 8 YO according to the former owner) for my dad's Father's Day present.

The current version of the SS draft door will fit the small egg. You will need to get the small/medium version. After you pry off the old door, the new one one won't meld to the egg as perfectly as the old draft door - we called the mothership and they said to use clear silicone caulk (not high temp)to seal the DD to the ceramic after you put it on the egg. It worked like a charm. ;)

We also had to order a new snuff cap, daisy wheel, and thermometer to complete the refurbish. My mom bought the eggsessories (nest, cover and grill gripper) and I can report that the nest does fit the older version eggs.

You will definitely want to calibrate your thermometer to make sure it works right. We were set to give my dad his egg and waited to calibrate until the very last minute - which caused us to have to give him the DVD and instruction booklet sans egg. :angry: :pinch: :blush:

Thankfully our local dealer had one in stock. You can get parts from mothership, but if you can locate a local dealer to get parts it is MUCH MUCH faster (according to the official BGE customer service person). :laugh:

Good luck.
  • lakebndegg
    Options
    Thanks!
    I'll try some places here in Raleigh
  • lakebndegg
    Options
    Was the daisy wheel that came with your small a metal cap that looked like it was home made? My friends at the lake call this the dinosor egg