Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Saturday Tandoori Chicken

Serial GrillerSerial Griller Posts: 1,186
edited 6:50PM in EggHead Forum
Thighs and breasts were marinated overnight in yogurt/lemon marinade and skewered.Lemons hold the meat away from the coals.Our first time doing this.The flavors were incredible.
P1010133-1.jpg
550'adj.rig with rod used to hold skewers from sticking out
P1010136-1.jpg
P1010135-1.jpg
P1010134-1.jpg
turned after 10 minutes
P1010137-1.jpg
done after 10 more minutes
P1010138-1.jpg
plated with corn and salad
P1010141-1.jpg

Comments

• Nice. Those look awesome.

-John
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Interesting cook Jon. Looks good. About time for Olathe corn. :)

Mike
  • Serial GrillerSerial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Thanks John and Mike..Yes it's corn season.Yum!
  • danny285danny285 Posts: 360
    I love that Turbo Grate, no clogging up.
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That plated pic is beautiful!! Nice cook Jon!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • KBKB Posts: 144
    it appears you didn't place an upside down flower pot in the bottom of the egg. Did the skewers remain in place?

The product looks yummy. It was the tandoori menu in her book that convinced me to purchase it. I haven't tried it yet.
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,792
    Jon, very interesting setup. I have the same SS skewers but haven't tried using them for tandoori. I'd experimented with hanging the chicken with S-hook from the AR but it didn't work out too well. Few months ago I bought a pair of approx 3-ft long 1/2"x1/2" square iron rods from an Indian market, planning to try tandoori with a small platesetter at the bottom to deflect the heat...will need to somehow get the end of the rods stick out through the top vent hole.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • EggSimonEggSimon Posts: 422
    looks great !
  • kdahlkekdahlke Posts: 30
    Looks great, never thought of using the skewers like that
    B)
  • Serial GrillerSerial Griller Posts: 1,186
    KB & Canugghead,
    I tried the flower pot but the one I had was too big.
    Next time I'm going to use the original fire grate( not the turbo) and put the Daisy wheel in the bottom with lump all around and put the skewers in the daisy slots.It was abit challenging to try to place the skewers on the turbo grate.They wanted to slide down through the slots.Practice practice!.
    I love that recipe.So moist inside.
  • That looks Great