Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin Tip???

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You know you have an addiction to Qing when you pick up meat and you have no idea what to do with it or why you bought it. While at Costco this morining picking up ribs, steaks and chicken (a lunchtime 1/3 slab is on right now over cherry wood), I happened on this neat looking chunk of meat. It was in a vacuum cryovac package, and had a beautiful red color. The label said "Beef Round Sirloin Tip". It weighs 9 pounds, and looks almost like a ball cut in half. At $1.59/pound, I figured what the hell.[p]I have no idea what to do with ths thing. Cook it as a roast? Slice it thin and marinate for keebobs?? Help![p]Thanks
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, I am in a collector mood this morning. Ship it to me, and I will figure it out! :-)
    C~W

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    It's been my experience that anything from the 'round' portion needs to be cooked a long time to tenderize. Perhaps you could cut it up into kebob size and marinate the hell out of it and cook it that way. I'm not sure what a long slow cook would do for it. In any case, let us know what you do.
    JimW

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Have you ever tried your hand at jerky??[p]K~G
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    KennyG,
    No, but I have been wanting too. I wonder how many batches of jerkey in a 9 pound sirloin tip??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, If'n yer not going to ship me that thing, and if'n its similar to the one I had that I crock pot finished for BBQ beef (best I ever had BTW) then this is what I would do with that oversized unground piece of hamburger.[p]Sear it at high temps for a few minutes all around. Then shut down the BGE with the tip vent cracked and lower vent adjusted to approximate the 300 F range and cook it till it says 130 internal. Then place it in a HD aluminum foil wrap first coating with your basic roasting veggies..onions, garlic, green peppers..ect. You mix it up the way you like it..halved or quartered potato, whatever. Put it back on the grill and cook at around 300 degrees for another hour to hour and a half. It should be tender pull apart beef when your finished...I betcha. I would do it indirect except for the first part. Then slip the extra grill in over firebricks and roast it from that point on.
    The wrap should tenderize it nicely.Otherwise thin slice and make dried beef or BBQ beef.
    Char-Woody ---BTW..your first description reminded me of a Tri Tip, but the size is far too large..so treat it like a roast. Looks like a 4 to 5 hour cook.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I would guess two. Cut half of it up thin (1/8th inch or less is what I prefer) for jerkey and cook the other half some other way. I've picked up shoulder roasts, somewhat fatty for jerkey but a lot of flavor in it. The roasts are usually about 4-5 pounds and it makes one big batch for me. I turn it a lot just to get it all smoked well so pile it up high on the grill and go for it. It will shrink as it cooks as well so don't be afraid to pile it up high. You'r large egg may take the whole roast too, that would be a LOT of jerkey though. I think Gfw? has a great picture of the process that I use (I use his process I should say) and it works wonderfully. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks CW. That is an awfully large chunk o beef. Maybe I will cut it in half, and do as you recommend. Then maybe with the other half I can try makin jerky![p]Preeciate it Happy Man!
    Yoooz gots me all curious about what you got clickin upstairs!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Holy cow! I just said the same thing about cutting it in half in response to seedubya's post. Wild what happens with great minds...heee![p]I will give it a shot, and must go tool around Gfw's site for a spell. I am also gonna eggsplore that jerky recipe site I posted a few times, get some ideeers and invent a killer recipe. This is gonna be fun.[p]Have a great day
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I have that site bookmarked. It has some pretty awesome jerkey recipes. Good luck, jerkey on the egg is great. I've made several batches and have not been disappointed in any of them. Some are better than others but none were bad by any means.[p]Good luck and have fun...[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, Its a duzzy dish!! Good luck on the big time sirloin. I did one of those and salvaged it thru the crock pot maneuver..then I did a follow up with the wrap technique. Much better. Nice and tender. I agree..cut that sucker up..then cook the portions to your specs.
    Cheers..C~W[p]