Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stromboli?

bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried stromboli? Sprinter? Spin? N.B.?
I saw Sprinter's calzone recipe submission, and honestly, I'm not quite sure I understand the distinction between stromboli and a calzone. Can anyone enlighten me? Want to give it a try tomorrow night, and I'm trying to prepare a grocery list for tomorrow morning. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    bdavidson,[p]Stromboli is a much larger calzone with stromboli being basically a pizza folded in half, covering the stuffing mix. Americans tend to add the same conglomerations of stuffings in both.[p]Pizza dough works great. Flip half way through the cook (or the top will turn to airy bread). We enjoy a stuffing mix of thin sliced, chopped steak (precooked to almost done), diced onion, diced bell pepper, just enough pizza sauce to moisten the mix, and a generous helping of cheese.[p]Spin

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    bdavidson,[p]Can't answer your questions but hopefully the eggsperts will. If you find the answers, though, I'm defintely interested in them! I likey calzones. I likey stromboli, too.[p]Cornfed also likes his chicken hot, but that's another story...[p]No school this summer means Cornfed needs a new hobby. To prevent nonsensical posts, if someone wants an answer to a neat trivia question or brain teaser or really hard math question, throw it my way and I'll spend my free time getting you an answer. Find the perfect recipe for X is also a fair game. Working 50 hours plus grad school really
    teaches someone to utilize their free time. Now that I'm just working with no school, I'm looking for ways to spend the eggstra time.[p]Heee,
    Cornfed

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Spin, seems like you have a handle on the distinction between these Italian pizza variations, so: Where does a panzerotti fit in this mix? I see a calzone as a small panzarotti and stromboli (something I wasn't familiar with) is a calzone or panzerotti with the sauce inside the dough rather than on the side. Is this close? Perhaps you could make all four, pizza, calzone, panzerotti and stromboli at the next Eggfest; you know, for clarification purposes only :)[p]
  • RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Cornfed,
    Check your email...trivia offer...
    Bob

• bdavidson
    Spin,
    I thought it had something to do with the use of ricotta cheese in the calzone but not in the stromboli. Anyway, I'm going to assemble a conglomeration of ingredients and throw them into the egg to see what comes out. Never heard of a panzerroti. Isn't that an expensive sports car? Cornfed???
    Anything would taste good on the egg, BBQfan1!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Spin,[p]I have had good luck with Calzone (I too don't understand the difference between the two) but found that if you add lots of goodies it works best to sauté them on the stove first or the meat never gets done right. I do mine with green peppers, pepperoni, mushrooms, and whatever else I have at the time (bacon bits, onions, ham, etc) and sauté together then add to the dough and fold. Don't forget to poke a hole or it Eggsplodes!![p]Tim
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    bdavidson,[p]Well, a dollar short and a half hour late but here goes. Spin pretty much covered it, as have the others. Stromboli is essentially a large calzone though I have seen stromboli with different crust, thats the only difference. I have a medium egg and have always stayed with the calzones but it could just be called a small stromboli also. As Tim says, do a little pre-cooking of the meats before putting them into the egg and things will work out better. It also tends to cut down on the grease and makes a better crust. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • bdavidson,[p]Ok, here's the Italian in me to pipe in with my 2 cents. YMMV;[p]Calzone - think of a a giant apple turnover. As you stated, has ricotta and tomato sauce among the ingredients.[p]Stromboli - looks like a baguette. No ricotta, served dry with tomato sauce on the side or drizzled over(user's choice).[p]Panzerroti - bear with me here...Take mashed potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper, etc., cut mozzarella into strips, and stuff into the mashed potatoes. Form into mini
    logs the size of a twinkie. Dip this into an egg-wash and then roll into seasoned bread crumbs. Fry in hot oil until brown on both sides or bake in an oiled pan. The trick is to keep them as logs and not let them cook too much where they turn into a frittata of sorts.[p]Hope that helps. Again these are my expereiences with these foods.[p]Regards,
    Jobu

• bdavidson
    Jobu,
    Eggcellent descriptions. Thanks. Do you have any good recipes for these delicacies? I'm thinking of using (pardon me) canned pizza sauce, italian sausage, pepperoni, lots of mozzarella, and some sauteed onion and green pepper.
    bd

• bdavidson
    BBQfan1,
    Good idea. Spin could open up his own Italian cuisine booth at Eggtoberfest! Naturally, only for clarification purposes...just like Eggfest clarified the differences between brisket and tri-tips, and pork chops and pulled pork! :-)

• bdavidson,[p]Wow, that sounds great. It's pretty much anything goes with these things. I've seen stromboli made with sauteed peppers (red, green, yellow), onions, mozzarella and soft provolone.
    (for the non-carnivores, I guess). I've also had a mexican style one with chili, jalapenos, monterey jack and salsa.[p]Good luck, and let us know how they turn out.
    -Jobu

• bdavidson
    Jobu,
    I am a carnivore! (as evidenced by my shameful consumption of any and all entrees at Eggfest! Great sausages BTW!)

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    BBQfan1,[p]That description will get you in the game. Of course there are truer descriptions depending on how close you want to be to the original recipes. A truer pizza would be made with only with sliced tomato, olive oil, and some herbs. The dough would be flour, water, and yeast.[p]Spin