Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Tonight - Wow!

PapaQ
PapaQ Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife works late on Tuesday nights, so I usually eat leftovers or grab some fast food. Occasionally, I'll call a neighborhood pizza place just four blocks away for delivery of pizza. I've been intimidated about all the posts on the forum about doing pizza on the egg, but tonight was my night to try it. [p]I've known the owners of the pizza place for years, a husband and wife team, even before they gave up their day jobs to opened their own business. I stopped in earlier tonight, ordered my favorite pizza uncooked, and the wife told me they've stopped selling uncooked pizzas. She said their dough is frozen and that they have found that by the time people get the uncooked pizzas home they have all kinds of problems getting the pizzas into their ovens (she's a stickler for quality control). I told her I wanted to cook it in my egg (her eyes seemed to glaze as I explained the wonders of ceramic cooking) and that I was going to put the pizza on a pizza screen and put it into the egg. She agreed that I if I brought the screen in, she would put the uncooked pizza on the screen. A quick trip home and back, my 12" pizza on my 14" screen, I was ready. I put the pizza in the freezer and fired up my egg.[p]I brought the egg up to 450*, put in the platesetter and pizza stone, and settled the egg at 550*. Here's a picture of the pizza waiting to go in (notice the non-electric Guru hanging on the left side of the egg -it works very well):[p]Pizza1.jpg[p]I dropped in a fist full of apple chips and put in the pizza. Eight minutes later, I rotated the screen and left it on for about four more minutes. Here it is after about twelve minutes:[p]Pizza2.jpg[p]The crust seemed to be crisp, the toppings looked done, and I took it off:[p]Pizza3.jpg[p]Wow! I've never eaten a fire roasted pizza before, but the added flavor of the fire and the hint of smoke made this the best pizza I've ever eaten. While I was eating it, I was tempted to save a piece and run it over to the pizza place; but there was only one piece left - for my wife when she gets home. Next time, I'll ask the owners to make up a pizza for themselves, and I'll cook it for them.[p]For those who have been as hesitant as I have been, try it. You'll like it.[p]Paul[p][p]

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    PapaQ,[p]That's it, PapaQ. I can take it no more. I have a friend that owns a local pizza joint, and I'm gonna try it your way. I am calling him today to see if he'll make a pizza for me and put it on the screen. Then, while I am making egg-fire and watching my urchin, the wife will pick it up and bring it home. [p]We will cook, eat, evaluate, and let you know.[p]Can. Not. Wait.[p]
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    PapaQ,
    Looks good enough to eat! [p]We used to have a guy in town that sold excellent ready-to-bake pizzas, but he's since moved up the food chain to a very nice restaurant in the big city. Good for him, but a sad day for many of us hereabouts when he left. Now that I've got an Egg, he's missed even more...[p]Bob

• Ranny
    Ranny Posts: 18
    PapaQ,
    Have you tried this without the pizza screen? I was wondering how much difference it makes?

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    4Pizza82004.jpg
    <p />PapaQ,
    I make pizza from scratch sauce included.

• Jopa,
    Your crust looks great! ...do you mind posting your recipe, or how you make it?

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    One of the King's Men,
    1/2 cup water about 110 F. add 1 ts sugar and salt with 1 packet dry yeast. let foam ( about 5 minuites ) add 2 tb of good quality x v olive oil. Add to 3 cups of bread flour. Mix in another 1/2 cup of the 110 F water. Turn on a well floured board and knead untill it becomes springy and smooth. You will most likley need to use extra flour. I form a ball and coat very lighty with x v olive oil and let it rest in a covered bowl for a hour and a half or untill it doubles in size. flour a pizza peel and go to work and prepare to enjoy.

• Mark Backer,
    I believe I have a duty to tell you my horror story before you make your first pizza on the egg. I made my first pizza two nights ago. The pizza dough I picked up from the restaurant is normally cooked in a brick oven at 800 degrees, so I had the egg as hot as I could get it when I put the pizza on. In about five minutes the pizza was done, it came out well, a little burnt on the bottom but still good. While eating the pizza I left the top down on the egg. When I went back out in twenty minutes (after eating the 1st pizza) the gasket on the egg was completely burnt off, leaving only a small, black, crust. So I am warning you, don’t do what I did or you will end up throwing things around your deck in a slight rage. Your egg will not be able to do a low n’ slow, and your next pizza will taste like burnt egg gasket.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    BostonBBQ,[p]My gasket burned off years ago. I left the fire raging while eating also :~) [p]I have never replaced the gasket and never have the problem with lo/slo you alude to. Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones with a tight fitting dome.[p]

• Bob,
    So your entire gasket is missing and you have no problems? There may be hope for me yet.

• Grumpa
    BostonBBQ,[p]Let me tell you.... there is nothing but ceramic against ceramic around my dome and base. Just have to use a little common sense closing the dome though :~)[p]Seems to seal pretty tight and never any temp spikes as a result.[p]Just lazy about replacing it I rekon.
  • Mark Backer
    BostonBBQ,[p]I am a little scared now. I enjoy my 750+ steak cookings, but at what cost? How many high temp cooks should I get before my gasket disappears?
  • PapaQ
    Jopa,[p]Your pizza looks great, and I bet it tastes great too. But this was going to be my first attempt at cooking one on my egg. I figured from all the posts that it was likely to be an unsuccessful attempt so I didn't want to spend the time making my own. When the kids were little, I used to bake bread and make homemade pizza, and I know the time and effort it takes. Since my experiment with store bought worked out so well, I may return to the olden days and make one from scratch. I've made a copy of your recipe for my pizza file. Thanks for posting it.[p]Paul

• PapaQ
    Ranny,[p]Since this was my first egged pizza, I can't say what the difference might be. I've read on the forum that some folks have had difficulty getting their pizzas on or off the stone without a screen. In addition, I figure the screen helps brown the crust (without burning) while the toppings are getting happy. I probably won't ever know the difference first hand, because I sure like the way this one came out with the screen. [p]Paul

• PapaQ
    Mark Backer,[p]Go for it. I'm still eggcited about how mine turned out. My wife got home at 2:00 am and woke me up raving about how good it was and a just a little upset that I hadn't left her more. From what I've read here, dome temps vary anywhere from 550-650 and higher. I asked the cook at the pizza place what temp he kept his ovens, and he said 550. So I used the same temp. You might ask your guy at what temp he cooks his. [p]Check your post yesterday about profile updates. I responded later in the day and asked a question. I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks[p]Paul

• Mark Backer
    PapaQ,[p]Well, I know he keeps his at 650 for his faster cooking, thin crusted pizza. But I think 550 on a thicker crust would be great. I can't wait to try it. As for the back post, I will find your response and get back to you...
  • Bob,[p]That is the way mine was when I inherited it. NO gasket! Now, with a gasket in it, I go through way less lump for the same amount of cooking. And there is less smoke to avoid getting in my eyes.[p]What way is best? I dunno![p]Bonnie

• Mark Backer,
    I've only had my egg for a few weeks. This was my first high temp cook so I'm not sure about the lifetime of the gasket.

• Mark Backer
    BostonBBQ,[p]Someone will give us an estimated guess. I don't want to knowingly fry my gasket too quickly. After all, I love humpty and humpty, I believe, loves me.[p]
  • Grumpa
    jrterrier,[p]I know each egg can be different in some ways. I never noticed any difference in the amount of lump used or saved. Perhaps mine is an unusual circumstance. It fits as tight without the gasket as it did with it. No smoke at all coming from between the 2 sections.[p]The only "Best" way is the way that works for any and each of us.[p]Hey Bonnie... stand upwind from that smoke :~)[p]Best regards.

• Bob,[p]You are right on that "best way" comment.[p]"Hey Bonnie... stand upwind from that smoke :~)"[p]Oh my, Bob, if only I could, 'cause I would love to. Our home sits down hill from our wind source and is surrounded by large tall douglas fir trees... we live out in the country "where the hoot owls diddle the chickens", so to speak. The winds drop into the opening our home is in, and swirl, so you never know where that smoke is going to go. It's the worst when starting a fire. Even the wood stove smoke from the chimney will swirl down and around the house.[p]I guess I should try moving the Egg to another part of the terrace and see if the sides of the house may be affecting the swirling.[p]Bonnie[p]
  • Grumpa
    jrterrier,[p]Even with the set backs you describe, I would trade you homes any day. Mine is city style :~([p]You have it made girl!