Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish Grilling Tips

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had decent luck cooking fish on a raised grill, with the fish laying on a bed of green onions. My efforts to grill fish directly on the grill (reasonably thick steak-cuts), however, have met with mixed results. Often, the fish stick to the grill, irrespective of how much olive oil I use....is it imperative to cook fish in a basket? Any tips would be welcomed. Thanks.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,
    I slather fish with mayomaise and they never stick and you don't taste the mayo.
    Larry

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    yb,[p]your method of a bit of mayomaise and a sprinkle of dill - goes so well with tuna - always moist and the dill add a nice touch

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    mr. toad,[p]I was just about to say sprinkle that mayo with dill and viola!!![p]Good job.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,
    i grill fish direct on a bed of thin lemon slices. . .adds moisture and also avoids any sticking . . this picture is of red snapper filets, with dizzy pig raging river, on a bed of lemon slices on direct grill at around 400 degrees. .. cooked for about 12 minutes. . [p]DSCN0325.jpg

• Martini Mark in PTC
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,
    Max is correct. Lemons & limes have always worked well for me. Other than a fish basket/holder of some type, the only other way is to plank cook on alder or cedar....

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP,
    we are definitely big fans of cedar plank salmon as well. . .it amazes me how little smoke actually makes it into the fish. . .nice subtle flavor. .[p]DSCN0269.jpg

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]do you use the same plank - again and again - if so what do you do to the plank each time

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mr. toad,
    you can get about two uses out of a plank. . .i have used the ones from williams sonoma (you get 4 planks for about $15.00. ..they are about1/4 - 1/3 inches thick. ..i immerse them in water for about 4 hours. .. .then put them on the grill at around 425 direct. . .wait about 5 minutes till they are 'crackling', then put the fish on. . .when i pull the fish, i also take of the plank (careful to douse the bottom side and not set the yard on fire). . .the bottom will be pretty will charred after the first use, and ready to fall apart after the second. .. then you just break them up and throw them in the fire for a little smoke another time. . .

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill, I have used aluminum foil. Lay it on the grill, take a knife and slit it between the grill bars. Lay the fish on top and then when it comes time to remove (or flip) slide your spatula under the foil. With the foil on top, you can peel it off with minimal or no destruction to the fish. [p]Now, you also need to consider what type of fishing yo're cooking. Some firm fish like swordfish, shark, tuna will cook just like a steak. Other flaky fish like tilapia, trout, flounder is best cooked on something that will lift off (like limes, onions, fish cooker, foil, etc) and do not try to flip it.

• jrterrier
    Options
    How 'bout halibut? Anyone have any opinions of how to cook it? [p]Oh my, do love that halibut!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    jrterrier,
    i gotta say, best halibut i ever had was in alaska. . .beer batter fried. . .not sure even the egg would make it taste any better than that.. .[p]i know, i know. .blasphomy coming from me, but oh will, i call em like i see em. .

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]If you have a cedar fence supplier near you you can usually get new unfinshed pickets that have flaws that are scrapped. I get them for free, cut them, since i have a wood planer I can make them perty.[p]Scott

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, Amen. I had lots of fried halibut on an Oregon fishing trip. Tough to beat.
    Sctt

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    coming from a serious fisherdude like you, i take that as gospel then. . .when i was in alalska during halibut season(january 02), it was fried halibut breakfast/lunch/and dinner. . .even had great fried halibut chunks at the little luncheonette at the national guard armory at ft. richardson. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Borders,
    whoops, meant to respond to you, not myself. . .DOH...

• jrterrier
    Options
    Yah all need to try halibut more ways than deep fried. It is excellent steamed with lemon and dill, or grilled in butter, or baked is excellent too.

The best part of baked, however, is the leftovers made into halibut sandwiches. Flake the cooked halibut, add chopped onion, celery, sliced olives, diced pickle, ?! Mix in mayonaise, a small amount of dijon mustard, and season with salt, pepper, and dill/???. Spread on bread (fresh homemade is best), warm hamburger buns, rolls, etc. Or, have over a bed of lettuce for a dinner salad. It would be great in a macaroni salad too. Beats tuna all to heck as it has a lighter flavor![p]

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,[p]Reynolds has a new foil called Release...it's nonstick on one side. Now they have come up with grill sheets. It's thicker than most foil (can be reused)and has holes in it. Tried it with fish and it was perfect. It also has a nonstick side.[p]Penny
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    penfresh,[p]I have found the Release very helpful, but can't wait to try the grill sheets. [p]HOORAY for the aluminum foil industry!!