Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best way to light

Options
Steelers252006
Steelers252006 Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the very best way to get your fire going hot and fast?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    mapp torch is the best way i have found ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    In fear of weekend Warrior, I won't make a steelers joke on how to heat things up.

If you have fire cubes, you could use a hair dryer to get the fire going quickly. Mapp will light several spots quickly. There are other options but smaller pieces of lump lit in several places will do the trick (with some extra air flow)
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    I think you'll get a lot of opinions about what is "best". Probably whatever you prefer.

FWIW, I think alcohol and cubes work well.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Alcohol in the body and cubes in the egg?
  • Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    Options
    I use the MAPP torch, and light in four places - center and at 12, 4 and 8 around the dial. And safety goggles when doing so, after reading recent posts.

I've use to use a chimney and wadded up paper to light before getting the MAPP set-up, but that leaves too much ash flying around and the Torch is much quicker.

Got a meatloaf going right now. Wicked Good took a relight, but it's the first time I've used it. Royal Oak lights easy in comparison.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Do you find a mapp torch to be better than a propane weed burner?
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Propane weed burner... in michigan we use them to shrink the shrink wrap.

Gets the fire burning fast and hot.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Steelers252006
    Options
    So I guess nobody used an electric starter anymore? If you use a MAPP torch, would it be wisest to light a few pieces of newspaper under the bottom in a few spots to get it going here?
  • BUILDER
    BUILDER Posts: 45
    Options
    My father still uses the electric deal, but he has a huge fan that's constantly blowing so his gets going very quick.

I personally like alcohol, seems to work best for me and I don't have a fan.
  • BUILDER
    BUILDER Posts: 45
    Options
    My father still uses the electric deal, but he has a huge fan that's constantly blowing so his gets going very quick.

I personally like alcohol, seems to work best for me and I don't have a fan.
  • Steelers252006
    Options
    What type of alcohol and cubes?
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Sorry, I meant alcohol OR cubes. There are threads and YouTube videos about using 91% isopropyl to light the lump. The cubes are just the Weber paraffin cubes.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    How have you been lighting your EGG before ?

There are various ways. The Cube; paper towel doused with cooking oil, MAPP TORCH.

I have found the Mapp Torch the best way. It is also cost effective if you consider how much the Cubes are. After the initial cost of the MAPP Torch, the cost of the cannister of fuel is around $7 - $8, and will last a while.

You won't go wrong with whatever way.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Never have used electric starter. I know some do, but while I am prepping the meat, I just let the egg get going and stabalized. If HOT is the goal, I just let it go and burn while getting stuff ready to cook
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    BGE (and a few other brands) sell parafin cubes that can start your lump. A few types of alcohol gels exist if you want to explore them.
  • Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    Options
    I think some of the differences in what people use, is due to... that's what they have. I didn't have an electric starter, never used the starter cubes, didn't have a weedburner, but already had the MAPP torch and of course the chimney from the Weber/WSM days. So for me, the choice was pretty simple.
  • machinegunmc
    Options
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Loaded question.There are several.I prefer Oiled paper towels.CHEAP and they work! :)