Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring band (med) problem(s)

Options
James MB
James MB Posts: 359
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a problem in that the bolts on the spring band hinge mechanism keep coming loose. Not so much of a worry, it's been like that since day one and every now and again I tighten them up to avoid a lid hanging by a thread issue.
Just recently I got irritated by the daisy wheel top falling off when I opened the lid and realised it was because of the judder as I opened the lid flinging it off rather than the lid opening further so tightened the bolts (again).
Only to find the lid stuck when trying to close it - around about the 45 degree mark. It wasn't binding on anything as there was a clear gap all around at that point (though it's a close thing around the back as the motion of the lid changes).So I loosened the bolts again (always seems to be the left hand side)and managed to get it shut after repeated attempts jiggling as I shut it to try and change the linkage alignment rather than trying any brute force.
I then noticed I had a 1/4" gap around one side of the felt in fact my band alignment was pretty lopsided, so loosened the upper band and reset it (while I had a chicken breast sizzling inside - don't try this at home..).
The bolts affected are the three on the left hand side nearest the cooker, most of all the top two.
I tried disconnecting the spring in case that was affecting it but no improvement.
Sorry - I can't post photos at the moment - our broadband is down and I can't find the gizmo to read the SD card to ths PC but I treid to take photos to identify any asymetry. the only thing I could detect ws a slight outward bowing of the linkage attached to the upper band on that (the spring) side.
Has anyone experienced anything similar or have a useful suggestion? I may bite the bullet and oredr a new spring band as I can only come to the conclusion it's a mechanical / geometry problem.

I also have a problem on my other (med) hardly used egg at another location - it has a significant side bite - so much so that the felt grows moss on one side (criminal I know but I don't get there often enough).
Perhaps I should just order two bands as the shipping, to the UK, will almost certainly outstrip the band cost?
This isn't an urgent problem as I will be away for a few days but it is infuriating - sometimes the openingis fine, sometimes it binds.
Thanks
James

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Hello James, you are probably asleep about now so hope you will see this in your morning.

I don't think you would need to order in new parts.

Not sure if our terminology will be the same but here goes.

There are 8 smaller nuts that attach to "clinch" bolts. These nuts & bolts hold the two bands (long bands that go around the dome and base). The band bolts 1 on each band are a carriage bold and nut.

On my medium if the smaller nuts are loose or in my case if I loosen them when trying to adjust the dome, then after tightening the hinge became very stiff. Stiff to a point where I had to physically push the dome down to close the dome. And stiff enough that when opening the dome I was concerned that I might tip the egg over - I had to put one hand on the egg base under the handle and lift the dome.

I corrected this by loosening the 8 smaller nuts and loosened and the the 2 band bolts. Then tightening the 8 hinge bolts. Then tightening the band bolts. The 2 band bolts need to be tightened until they bend. To make sure thy don't loosen put a second nut behind the first bolt.

The side to side adjustment. Again, on my medium I had about 1/2 of the gasket overbite (misalignment). Evidently my bands were torqued (twisted a little) before they were connected to the hinge assembly. I removed the bands completely and took the bands and hinge to the flat cement patio. I could see the twist when the bands were resting on the ground. A simple twist in the opposite direction of the twist. After a few adjustments the band was flat to to the surface. I tipped the assembly over and the top band was not torqued.

I was careful when lifting the hinge assembly back to the egg so there was no twisting. After tightening the two band bolts the side to side adjustment on the dome and base was very close, not perfect but very acceptable.

Hopefully this will be helpful.

Be well, Kent
  • James MB
    Options
    OK here's a go at some photos. Photobucket doesn't seem to want to upload my shots - prob too big but I thought it automatically reduced them - so trying a picasa link.

From Drop Box

wzwEMBtBFM86or3NOiYoMbUD1Wlvwfj4eY3jBMDk2bk?feat=directlink

or a direct link http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wzwEMBtBFM86or3NOiYoMbUD1Wlvwfj4eY3jBMDk2bk?feat=directlink

The bolts that forever loosen are that vertical line of three in the middle, especially the top two.

I did pretty much as you said, loosened them off so I could cook, tightened them and then tried a band alignment because the top band is pretty lopsided, then loosened them enough again to get the lid able to close (!)
    The spring band has clearly been subjected to something that has made it out of true. Once I have the cookers together I'll try and bash one of the bands into shape while I have the other cooker available!
    Thanks for the patio advice - I'll try that with the spring disconnected so I can get a proper idea.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

That is different than what I was thinking. I am not familiar with that hinge design. I will go out and look at my medium after a little while but I am pretty sure mine is different than yours.

Suggestion, get that rust off and put some lubricant oil on there, something like like WD-40 if you have that available.

The two band bolts seem not to be tight enough I have and am seeing a much more bolt bend - but I wouldn't do that until you get the hinge problem resolved.

Some suggestions.

Is it possible to adjust the bolts to where the dome opens and close easily, then put a second nut behind the first nut. It doesn't look like there is enough room on the bolt though.

... purchase a nut that has a nylon retainer in the end so when you put it on the bolt and to the proper adjustment the nut won't move when the hinge is opened and closed.

... possibly locate some Loctite. That is a liquid that mechanics use to put on a bolt then put the nut on. When the loctte dries it won't allow the nut to come off by itself - it takes wrenches. We have two types over here, a blue and red colour. One is s soft lock and the other is a hard lock.

... if the vertical hinge pieces are bent than there will be hinge binding - that needs to be straightened out bu that is something that you should be able to do without buying a new band set.

I am wondering how old that egg is, curious about the hinge difference.

Kent
  • James MB
    Options
    Hi Kent

Sorry - i didn't mean to post and run but have been away.
    I think I got the eggs about two and a half years ago but I also think they were from remaindered stock so probably much older than that.
    The bands are Chinese and weren't in great shape on arrival - you can see the touch up paint, that was done by the factory not me.
    Yes I should get the WD 40 out but it's not a pivot point issue it's a geometrical problem - something about the geometry works the pivot bolts loose on one side, they are self locking but the nylon has probably long since melted or fused. I wouldn't have enough space for a locknut unless I replaced the bolts and I'd rather resolve the underlying problem. I think I have some blue loctite somewhere left over from mounting a sight.