Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

heat

Options
biggedso
biggedso Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am having trouble getting my x-large up to 650 for steaks. i use the lump charcoal, maybe i'm putting to much in? :S

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    You might want to make sure the vent holes in the firebox are not clogged with ash or small pieces of lump. I have had my Egg up to some screaming temps that melted my gasket, not recommended but a rite of passage.

Take the daisy wheel off the top and leave it open, also make sure your draft door on the bottom is full open.

Good luck. :)
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't know how much lump you're using, but for hi temps, it's not too much. Make sure the hole in the bottom edge of the firebox is aligned with the lower vent, that all of the holes around the walls of the firebox are clear and use a wiggle rod (coathanger will do) to make sure the holes in the fire grate aren't clogged with small bits of lump. Also, make sure the lump you are using is dry. Oh, one more thing - clean out the ashes, both inside the firebox and between the firebox and the egg itself.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    A wiggle rod works great in these cases. Gets the egg going quick