Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone - Will just any one do?

Options
EggheadWife
EggheadWife Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a large egg for the hubby for Father's Day. Yeah, I know - good wife! He has expressed an interest in a pizza stone. Will any old stone do or should I spring for the name brand? Any thoughts on the half / whole pizza stone benefits?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The BGE stones are much thicker than most. The general consensus seems to be that thinner ones will crack after awhile. It's probably worth a little extra investment, IMO.
    Great gift, hubby is a lucky guy.
  • BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    Options
    busted my wifes pampered chef stone on first go!
    bough BGE stone and @yrs later still cooking.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Yes, you are a great wife!

A lot of posters, who are not hesitant to suggest a cheaper alternative, have said that the BGE brand is worth the extra cost for the pizza stone. Based on that, both of my stones (Large and Med) are BGE. No problem whatsoever. Since I never have used anything else I can't comment. But you will probably get some posts from those who did crack an off brand and switched and never had a problem since.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm with Bacchus. Buy a quality stone.
    The thiner cheap ones work great at normal baking temps but high temps and direct flames have taken many of the cheaper stones.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    what Bacchus said. But I have a BGE and a cheap one. The cheap has worked fine so far.
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Options
    I do not have a BGE pizza stone and so far so good. Knock on wood (my head).
  • Cheaven
    Cheaven Posts: 30
    Options
    I have a Williams and Sonoma outlet stone. I have used it in the oven once and in the egg twice, both times around 500 degrees. Its been fine thus far.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Over the last couple of years there have been several reports on this forum of Pampered Chef stones breaking. :(
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    My BGE stone has outlast 4 other store bought stones.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Another excellent stone besides BGE are the ones from Ceramic Grill Store, 5/8 thick, several diamaeters to choose from.
    Pampered Chef seems to be the worst choice for name brands mentioned here, although I have one that has given yrs of good service in the oven, much lowere temps though.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I have a Primo pizza stone.
    It has a ceramic coating on the top side.
    P1010090.jpg
  • belle's dad
    belle's dad Posts: 146
    Options
    I, like someone else, managed to break the Pampered Chef stone the second time I used it. I have had a BGE stone for about two years and have put it through H---, and it's still in one piece.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Lambchops
    Lambchops Posts: 166
    Options
    The first time I made pizza on the Egg I used a stone from Younkers and it cracked in three pieces. The Egg stones have held up very well. I would get the Egg stone.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Pampered Chef on left, BGE on right:

pizzastones1.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Joe Willie
    Joe Willie Posts: 10
    Options
    I used my wifes Pampered Chef for my first pizza.....It is now in about 40 pieces. Since then I bit the bullet and got the BGE stone. Done maybe 20 pizzas between 600 and 700 and still good as new.

Bottom line.....Pampered Chef if probably not the best compliment to the Egg. As for other brands, I have no experience and therefore no opinion
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I've been using a pampered chef one for 2 1/2 years now. With no problems. I think I have pushed my luck and I did pick up a BGE one when we stop by the mothership the other day. When using the pampered chef I only went to 500 degrees and warmed the egg with the stone in.
  • EggheadWife
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Looks like I'll head back to the dealer and pick up the BGE stone just to be safe. I don't want him to mess with any of my pampered chef gear!