Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on new cast iron grate...

Options
UPinSMOKE
UPinSMOKE Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I came home from a visit to the Mother Ship yesterday with a brand new cast iron grate. I own several cast iron skillets and I 'season' them when needed following an old yet very reliable method. I figured this new grate, since it will live outside in all types of weather could benefit from a seasoning session.

Instead of doing it in my oven and heating up the kitchen, I lit up some old lump in the bottom of my medium Egg and set the vents for a slow cook. 15 minutes later, it has stabilized at around 240 degrees, and while it purred along I used some Crisco and liberally smeared it all over the new CI grate, top, bottom, sides....I left nothing uncovered.

I placed it on the Egg, closed the lid and let it 'season' for about 90 minutes and cannot wait to try it tonight with a couple of NY strips using the Trex method.

My question is this... can I use the CI grate now for everything or do I need to keep the original grate around? I see some recipes call for either a CI or a ceramic but they don't state you can use EITHER one.

TIA!!! :-)

Pat

Comments

• Grill With Bill
    Options
    I picked up a Cast Iron grate at Eggs By The Bay yesterday. Do I need to season it, or do they come preseasoned?

Bill
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have both and use both pretty much interchangeably . I have never seen a recipe that is grid specific, other than getting sear marks on steaks. I probably use my CI the most B) Some of the pro chefs on here might have other ideas :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    If it is black, it is preseasoned, if it is grey, it is not B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • UPinSMOKE
    UPinSMOKE Posts: 53
    Options
    Hey Bill!

They told me at the MS(Mother Ship) the other day that these grills DO have some coating on them for the factory, but when I told the man at the counter I always season all my other CI skillets, etc, he said, and I quote " Look, it sure won't HURT it to season it, so go ahead".

That's what I did :-) I went ahead! LOL.... It looks great, is not rough to the touch, looks brand new, shiny and ready to grill now!

And Frank, thanks for the input here and in my alignment post! You are a busy man today!!! :-)

Pat
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I pretty much use my cast iron grate exclusively now unless I need to use my grid extender. I don't think using the cast iron for low and slow cooks brings any advantages like it does for higher temp cooks, but it certainly doesn't hurt to use it.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Pat, You are welcome. It is not that I am so busy today, quite the opposite, my thermometer is reading 99 degrees as we speak, :ohmy: Humidity about the same, so I am hibernating in reverse, so to speak.
    Hope I was able to help :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Sodak
    Sodak Posts: 57
    Options
    I think the grate to too hot to 'hold' a seasoning. Seasoning is good with pan/dutch ovens because we don't heat them up much past 400F. The grates when doing a steak get very hot (I get it as hot as I can) and I think that burns the seasoning off.

Please remember my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Happy Egging!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Not that seasoning the ci grid is bad but, there are times when I sear steaks with it at high temps and when I'm finished I have noticed all the gunk on the grid had burned off down to the ci. So believe it or not I just burn it off if it gets to gunky or leave it in the dry so it don't rust. just sayin. Tim :)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Glad to see someone calling a grid a grid. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Sometimes I say the wrong thing and I will correct my self if I notice and get a chance. I feel I will have old timers some day and I will forget to go to the bathroom. :lol: Tim

I know that don't have anything to do with anything but it cracked me up. :woohoo: