Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Thawing ?

Options
thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thawed a pork butt yesterday and accidentally left it out over nite. It was still sealed in the cryovac bag from the store.

Opened it to check it. Internal temp is 65. There is no trace of foul odor or discoloring.

If I didn't know it sat out all nite I would not even be suspicious.

Should I use it?

thanks

Comments

• Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    internal temp isn't the issue, it's the external.

i grew up in a house where we'd leave the cooked turkey under foil overnight... hahaha

your concern is fecal bacteria on the SURFACE of the meat (there's no fecal bacteria IN meat) having a chance to multiply.

technically, if the surface of the meat (where the bacteria of concern are) is above 40 for longer than 4 hours, it is verboten. bacteria multiply faster at higher temps (room temp), and so it would be worse if the room were 65 or more.

that said, cryovac is anaerobic, and SOME bacteria don't grow well in that environment. but bacteria can grow just the same...

toguh call.

kids and older people eating it are probably a definite 'no'. healthy adults? if they have an iron stomach and don't mind the risk, have at it.

the nose knows. open it and smell. ignore the initial sulfurous cryo-smell.

bacteria will also make the meat feel very sticky-slimy, and won't rinse easily away. the smell will not rinse either (the cryo smell will rinse off, it's just a byproduct of the inert gas they seal it in).
  • thegrillster
    Options
    Thanks

No slime, no smell at all other than the pork.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You asked this question because you have doubts. When in doubt throw it out.

If you can truly get past your doubts, it most like will not hurt you to cook it. Me, I never get past my doubts when it comes to food and that Butt isn't all that expensive to replace.
  • thegrillster
    Options
    I had doubts when I realized I had left it out overnight.

After opening it and not smelling any nasty ordors and the meat not being slimy I was not bothered.

Just posted to get some input from you all.

Never hurts for second opinions.

thanks