Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what was YOUR first BGE meal?

Options
2»

Comments

• 2 Boston Butts and the family was very impressed.
    6f8cnd.jpg
  • JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    Options
    My first meal on my old red fire brick material egg was a "Budwieser tragedy". The place I bought it from made it look and sound so easy I felt I could celebate my new purchase and cook too.
    The first thing I tried to cook was baby back ribs. Oh Lord, what a disaster. The fire kept going out, my mother in law was firing up charcoal chunks on shovel to get the fire going again. The guests, my sister in law, and her then boy friend were constantly asking "when are we going to eat?". I kept pouring them more wine. My wife was shaking her head and trying to offer encouragement. Finally, after I don't know how many Budwiesers and how many hours than originally planned the ribs came off and I have no idea as to the tenderness, flavor or if there was even a smoke ring, we finally ate.

JCinGA
    Jim
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Spam. By far the best way to prepare it. Was actually quite good. Didn't want to burn or destroy and good food so spam was selected as a temperature control test and flavor of lump experiment. :)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Your lucky...I was gonna call BS.

How could you remember? :laugh:
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Pork tenderloin. Pretty easy first cook.
  • Blizzard58
    Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    Options
    Steak and beef ribs here. Nothing special but all was fantastic. Never have I cooked on a grill that was so easy and so good. For many years I have seen the egg at the local propane gas company every time I refilled my tanks . When I looked at price tag I thought they were crazy and that I would never spend that kind of money for something as simple looking as an egg. The only thing that was crazy was that it took many many many years for me to see the light. The only thing I can say is that it is better late than never.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken as others have mentioned with a little rub on it and some apple wood smoke. Best chicken I ever had. Great easy first cook.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    I'm pretty sure mine was a spatchcock chicken - Whiz inspired I should think. It's still a favourite.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    2346dbfc.jpg

...first cook.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • FenwayFinn
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the feedback. Never imagined my first post would get 40 responses AND become a site poll! Hope it doesn't go to my (egg)head :P
    I've decided we're going to start with some nice juicy burgers saturday night, then reduce the heat and go low and slow overnight with a pork butt. Already invited the relatives over for Sunday dinner.
    Thanks for all the advice!