Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Egg #2 in Cook's Illustrated

Options
Lothar
Lothar Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just reading through my July/August 2010 issue of Cook's Illustrated magazine and they did a recipe breakdown of Memphis-style dry rubbed ribs. Within the article, they did a short review of an equipment testing of Smokers (all charcoal - no gas). The Big Green egg was rated #2 behind the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. The primary reasons for the 2nd place finish was 1)cost ($750 vs. $299) and 2)the Weber came with a water pan.

I can't disagree with the price difference but a water pan? All you need is a cake pan or even a disposable foil pan.

Bear in mind, they were rating it on its smoking functionality not its overall versatility (which they didn't mention).

I normally have a tremendous amount of respect for Cook's Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen but I think they missed the mark here. But then again, I'm biased and feel like I need to defend my decision to purchase the egg.

Comments