Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip ideas

Options
mnwalleye
mnwalleye Posts: 226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am picking up my first tri tip and wondering what ideas you might have for it. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I copied and past this recipe from this web site http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.php

EGGFEST 2006-2007-2008-2009
    Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    6 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.php
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    mnwalleye, Thats how I do it and it is fantastic in my opnion. Tim ;)
  • mnwalleye
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to try it. It sound great. Thanks!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    You should get a lot of comments on this cook. Good luck what ever you decide. Tim ;)
  • mnwalleye
    Options
    Well I'm leaving work right now to pick it up and have yours printed out, and the bonus is that I have everything at home so I dont see to stop at the store to pick anything up.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I will watch for your post. Tim
  • mnwalleye
    Options
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was great!! Thanks

d07f134b.jpg

98aa09e0.jpg

bd937179.jpg

871286cd.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Alright glad to hear it! :P Tim
  • edg1
    edg1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Hi mnwalleye,

My recipe for Tri Tip is pretty simple, and wife approved.

Heat egg to 350f, plate setter legs up. Coat meat with favorite rub. Cook for about 1 hour per pound, or 150f (or so) meat temp.

I find it comes out tender and juicy.

For the rub, I use John Henry's Mojave Pepper/ Garlic.

edg
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I do tri tip pretty basic, just worcestershire and herbs de provence then sear it on both sides and fishing cooking till done. I just test with my finger. We generally cook two. The first one we slice and eat for dinner that night the second one I leave unsliced and once it's wrapped put in the fridge and slice it later for sandwiches.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle