Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yummy pizza and OT goodbye my friend

Options
WWSis
WWSis Posts: 1,448
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I haven't made pizza In a while. This was a pesto base cut with sour cream; topped with bacon, chicken thigh, red onion, green and yellow pepper, and homegrown cilantro. I sauteed it all wirh a good dose of Texas BBQ rub, courtesy of village idiot. It was delicious.
7c4a0534.jpg

Tomorrow I have to say goodbye to my beloved 10 year old chocolate lab, Remington. Here he is, looking like a king! Wishing him peace...
e6602578.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Sorry for your loss Julia. It hits close to me right now. He looks like a very strong and gental soul.
    Food looks great to.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Julia, very sorry to hear about your pup. I had to go through that last October. Mine was 13. I still miss her!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rockytopsc
    rockytopsc Posts: 856
    Options
    Good lookin pizza and pup! Sorry about what you have to go through as we've been through it as well and wasn't easy but was for the best that he wasn't in pain anymore. Jason
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Worst thing of having fur family. Had to say goodbye to my Hannah about a year ago...still hurts. Take care
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Good lookin pie. As far as Remington goes, it is only because we love them so much that we do these things. They spend their lives giving us unconditional love and when the time comes, we must show the same degree of love that they gave us. My heart is saddened by your loss. Time will turn the pain into fond memories. Angels bless, and I'm sorry. :(
  • An Egg Downunder
    Options
    Remington is so handsome - just like my yellow lab Syrus. It's nearly five years since we said goodbye to Sy and I still think about him every day. So I guess you can say a loved dog never really leaves you.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    Very sorry for losing a family member. You are brave for making a tough decision. I am sure he enjoyed some good egged food.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Julia,

It takes true love to do what you need to do for Remington. Still, it is our own selfishness that makes our guts turn inside out. Remington will be far better off, and I am convinced you will see him again.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Julia, I am so sorry to hear about your beloved Remington. I had a chocolate lab as well. He was put to sleep when he was 14. It just broke my heart. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. Remington is such a handsome lab. My thoughts will be with you and Remington tommorrow.
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    Sorry for you ole pal Remington. I've got a 12 yo yellow, Max, and his time is coming very soon I fear. We got a chocolate (Bourbon) last year in May to help with the transition, especially with our three little two legged animals. Gave them both the salmon skins from tonight's cook on the egg. Remember the good times and know ole Remington will be chasing balls and sticks in a better place!
  • WWSis
    Options
    Thank you everyone for you kind words. I've never had to do this before, and somehow I thought I would be braver knowing that it needs to happen, but bravery eludes me, my heart is breaking. :( Tucker, my nine-month old St. Bernard, will give me a target for the extra kisses :)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    That is a shame. I lost all 3 of my friends in one year.

Mike
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Julia the pizza looks very nice, sorry about the doggie, we have a 7 year old chocolate lab as well
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Give Remmy a hug and kiss from us. it was nice getting to meet him last Nov. We could tell he was a good baby. you and David are doing the best thing for him.Just as you have all his life I am sure. I can tell just from talking to you about traveling with the two of them and the care you put into making sure they were ok. Hugs, Julie
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOl you can play roll the mini some more with Tucker :lol:
  • WWSis
    Options
    Julie, my mini can't take another round of soccer with my chunkster! Here's a new pic of the monster pup.
    cd1271a9.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    So sad for you, I've done that 7 times and it doesn't get any easier. -RP
  • SmokinInCypress
    Options
    Hi Julia,

We had to do the same thing recently and it was really hard for my wife, but she is comforted that she did now. I know that is not an easy decision and sorry for your loss. Beautiful pup...
  • BUILDER
    BUILDER Posts: 45
    Options
    Well first off let me say...great looking pie. I mean, really nice looking pie there.

Secondly, I'm sorry for what ya got to do for your family friend. I'm typing this with a 15 year old min-pin in my lap and a 14 year old silky terrier under my feet. It won't be long before I have to do the same to my terrier. That damn min-pin is gonna out live us all I'm afraid. I've had to make the call 4 times in my life, it really doesn't get easier but I will say it's the right thing to do, and more times than not, the right decisions in our lives are seldom the easy ones.

Good luck to you.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    nothing tougher than saying goodby to a loved dog!! ..had to do it a few times in my life now. ..but you know when its the right thing to do, and you know, so do they. ...i've found that usually, they are "ready", and just need a little help along their 'journey'. . .i found that being with them as the vet helped made it easier on me too. ...

i hope you both have a peaceful day tomorrow!!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Julia,
    I'm so sorry to hear about Remington. He's so stately and handsome, but I can see the sadness in his eyes. Hope he departs peacefully and you take care.

Gary
    canuckland
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    My thoughts are with you. That really hurts. I hope that you do it again as many times as you can. It's a win-win even though we often end up on the sad end of the stick. I really believe that there is something to the saying that DOG is GOD spelled backwards. I have three, and one is nearing the end. They are the best friends ever.

Bless you.

Mike
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Julia,

I feel sick for your situation. :( He looks like a real stud! I'd love to see him busting brush. Labs have a special way of working the land when sniffing out game, and I love it.

Poor pizza looks great, but taking the backseat tonight.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    Your pic of Remington brought a tear to my eyes as I reflect on my many friends that have departed so soon. it is not easy losing a pet, but I get another as that day is overshadowed with all of the happiness my pet has given me.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Julia....My heart absolutely breaks for you! It's one of the most difficult decisions we have to make, and I am positive it is for the best! Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and Remington tomorrow.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    So sad for you Julia, I've had dogs all my life and they really are members of the family.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Our thoughts are with you and your family and Remington. Same as other posts above-we've been there too. When we went through it the last time I stated 'no more pets'. I lasted about 6 months before it just wasn't right without a four legged friend. Our 'new' one will be 3 in August so have survived another round of the 'puppy' stage, well almost. Best, Mike
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    My thoughts are with you. It's never easy to say goodbye to our babies.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I know the first picture is of a pizza but the second picture of your dog is the one the hits the most deep inside. One can always make pizza but having to say goodbye to a loving pet is not easy. I see a dog that looks healthy but you the owner knows better. The sad thing it is a decision that is always hard to make but at the same time it is what needs to be done as our pets are feeling not too great. I wish there was a pill that would make things better..... I feel for you. So sorry.....

Gary
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Well I think you know from my post few people can empathize with you as I can. Can't have kids and my critters are the closest thing to human kids we will ever know. I always hope that mine die in there sleep but for the most part it just doesnt work that way. They all have hated the vet and I take care of my own in the end and a part of you dies with them. My last old 14 year old girl Lab died the weekend after Thanksgiving. It is so hard to know when. Always trying to second guess yourself. Just know from this post I can tell you are doing what you truly believe is the right thing to do. Don't ever beat yourself up for it. God bless you both.