Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE Plate Setter PROBLEM.

Options
lownoterider
lownoterider Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy. Bought an XL BGE in March 2008. Bought a nest and plate setter with it. I used the heck out of it, love long, slow BBQ or smoking on the egg. I use it year round, even in the winter here in Wisconsin.

My problem started 2 months ago. I had just done a few racks of ribs. I went to remove the Platesetter, and it came out in 3 pieces. Done.

I went to the local dealer to get a new one. Never looked in the box. Brought it home, opened it, the legs are 2" LONGER than the original. Meaning I have to pull the ring out and set it directly on the firebox. If I use it "Legs Up", which I prefer, it leaves insufficient room for Lump for a 12 hour cook. If I go legs down, It's diametrically too BIG, and I have to get it perfectly aligned, or one leg or another slips behind the fire ring.

So I did work with that for a while, because my VERY helpful distributor basically says "Too bad, this is all we can get, enjoy the $1100 BBQ that you have to rig together to use".

So I tried legs down. Balancing act to set it on the Firebox. Put a couple of firebricks on it to space the grate up. In two months, this one ended a BBQ by breaking into 6 pieces. I assume it didn't like being poorly supported and subjected to Baking level heat.

SO I loved my BGE with the short leg Plate Setter. I hate my BGE with the new Plate Setter. Does anyone know where to get an original XL Plate Setter? Because today, I can't Barbeque, and I have a hard time understanding why I should have to use parts that don't fit on a BBQ that cost this much.

Erik

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Had the same issues. Cooked with it any ways - the first time I tried it legs up, the grid stuck in the dome :)

I was about to saw off the legs when my firebox cracked. The new firebox is a little lower and now the grid is at felt level.

You could easily cut the legs down to size with a masonry blade on a reciprocating saw or using a grinder.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    You got a Plate Setter for the XL that was changed last year. The Fire Ring on your XL is one inch wider than the newer XLs and so the distance from Fire Ring to the Gasket Level is 2". Now it is 3", the Fire ring is less wider.

So no, you don't havea $1100 EGG you can not use. Go to your Dealer and see about getting a new Fire Ring as well as a new Plate Setter, and you will be good to go.

I know it's a pain in the ARS but this is one suggestion.

Good luck and enjoy your week end.

Gary
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I would contact the mothersip directly. Seems to me they should furnish you all the parts you need to make your EGG usable again :sick:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Frank is right. It is the FIREBOX that was shortened.

I went through this last year trying to find the right Plate Setter for the newer XL.
  • Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    Options
    Contact BGE. I bought an old floor model XL that had the old insides, but all I could find were new platesetters. I contacted BGE and they sent me the new insides for free. If they dont do that they may be able to get you an old platesetter that would work with your old insides.

Or you can go to ceramic grill store and buy their indirect option.
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Options
    Yeah, at some point they changed the design of the XL, and the distance from the top of the fire ring to the lip changed. When I bought some third-party accessories for my XL, the vendor needed to know which XL I had purchased...

If you can't get the older model plate-setter anywhere, there are alternative accessories over at:

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

Click on the link: "Flip Ring and Hanger Combo"

Tom sells accessories for both old and new model XLs, and you will find all kinds of ways to make your egg setup more versatile using his toys. You could, for example, get the "hanger" accessory plus a stone and use that in place of a plate-setter.

I am not affiliated with Tom's store, BTW. I am just a very happy customer.

You'll find accessories at the site that will make your grill more versatile than you can imagine. For example, I can now configure my grill with a half-grid at felt height and a cast iron grid just inches above the lump. I can sear steaks without taking the egg to super-nova temps. I just sear on the lower cast iron grid, then move the steak to the upper half grid to finish. Since the upper grid is a half-grid, I have complete un-obstructed access to the lower grid at all times.

All this being said, I can't believe that the BGE company would not support the older XL. Have you called the mothership yourself? I'll bet they have it. The problem could be a lazy distributer.

Don
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    I have 2 xl platesetters of the old style. I have them sitting in storage and will give them to you at what my cost was plus shipping. I used to be a dealer and now I just have a storage container of misc. stuff. PM me if interested.
  • lownoterider
    Options
    WOW!

Thanks so much for the quick response! I did PM AZ Scott about the ones he has, and will probably go that route.

I assume my dealer is just lazy, so I did e-mail BGE, and will post the answer here for other interested parties.

Thanks a BUNCH everyone!

Erik