Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TLC Pitmasters

Celtic Wolf
Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those of you who don't know Pitmasters has a new host and here he is in action on the Today show.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/37436177#37436177#37436177

They need to bring John Markus back.. If this idiot stays I will NOT be watching the show.

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    I saw that video earlier this morning...he'll do wonders for the image of BBQ, won't he? :ermm:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Pete he will fit right in with most of the crap on TV.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I could not watch the whole video. He is a moron. He acts like he has been drinking red bull all morning. I use mustard on my ribs but just a light coating. If he is grilling the ribs at 200° for 45 min's will they get done because I don't know. Who would want to fill your mouth with mustard like that. He is obviously putting on a show for the camera. Two thumbs down. :angry:
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    He puts the turd in mustard! :laugh:
  • Slingblade
    Slingblade Posts: 28
    EVERYTHING the moron said was wrong, IMO.
    And the host saying "fall of the bone ribs". Is that not the most overused description of ribs? And ironically it describes ribs that are overdone.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    The guy is a clown. :angry:
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    CW--thanks to the forum I can keep my head down, grill on my egg and enjoy the food.
    Thanks for sharing what NOT to do, watching TV among them.
  • That dude is a rubber. Guy from triple D is bad enough sometimes but this doucher is a 4th rate Food Network reject. The only thing he was missing was bad (newly done I might add) flame tattoos on his forearms.

People wonder why I am so bitter, things like this will hopefully make people ask that question less :angry:
  • zflava
    zflava Posts: 43
    Slingblade, I agree with you with regards to the use of the term "fall off the bone". The art of eating a good rib is to be able to pick the bone up and enjoy biting it off the bone with no resistance. I'm sure those ribs are not falling off the bone after 45 min of grilling anyway. WOW!!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You are bitter cause you keep getting smoked with that ugly white spoke HAHAH

At least Guy knows real Q..
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Wow.. this guy is a clown...

I do admit Guy Fieri is annoying as hell too..
  • LOL
    I agree, Guy annoys me but he has a good palate. I understand a lot of this stuff is all image and dorks like that are what networks are looking for because they think it will bring in viewers. Most people don't want to see fat guys wearing picnic shirts talking about BBQ (God Bless you BBQ America), they want TV cooks who have zazz.

But at the end of the day I know (or think I know) what real BBQ is and if I do not want to get upset by some JO on tv then I should just turn on something that won't piss me off, like the white sox, well...maybe I will just read a book.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Pitmasters must have done really bad ratings wise to need such a makeover of the show. I hope they don't mess it up too much.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    I agree, I enjoyed the original format.
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    I found Guy annoying and his food atrocious. It probably didn't help that his restaurant had a very off ammonia smell.

And the guy in the video acts like a hopped up tool.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    I'd like to see him after Myron and Johnny Trigg get through with him.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    What a douchebag.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    for a reason. He will be as much of an ass or as calm as the directors tell him to be. It all depends on what gets aired and what hit the editing room floor. Heck, even those guys could make me look nice.
  • What kind of medication is he on? Did he ever host another show? Maybe compensating for stage fright.
  • You can act like a clown, if you give good and accurate cooking tips. I can't stand bad information!
  • Bluedot
    Bluedot Posts: 82
    Isn't his name Richard Head?
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    WOW!!! Selected to "host" a show of something he obviously knows absolutely NOTHING about!!! Gotta find out the names of these idiots promoters.....This guy is a TURD!! Took me two times to get through the video clip. :pinch: Pete, hopefully TLC staffers are 'reviewing' their choice after this 'performance'. Gives a whole new meaning to the "to mustard or not to mustard" controversy..... :blink: THAT was disgusting to say the least. :pinch:
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    I wrote Greg Rempe yesterday, he hosts an internet radio show on Tuesday nights called BBQ Central, find it at http://www.thebbqcentralshow.com and you can also listen to podcasts of past shows, pretty interesting, he was talking to or about the Pitmasters show all winter, but he interviews with most of them dating back before the show existed.

Anyway, he has interviewed Markus in the past and is trying to get him on the show again in the near future. That will probably be a good episode.

I haven't seen a good mention of this new guy yet, he was one of the losers of Food Network's Next Big Food Network Star, not even 2nd place either, but he did get camera time. I think the difference though is this was live tv and they likely told him "You have 3 minutes to cook ribs" and he was jacked up and excited. Definitely not a reason to give bad info but just think if someone asked you to be on network tv in front of millions of people, and tell us how to cook ribs in 3 minutes, we all would probably either clam up and not get through it, or get through as quickly as possible so we actually make it. There is no way we could talk about how awesome the Big Green Egg is, how we always use the grate temp/dome temp because it's the right way to do it, that the DigiQ isn't really needed for a rib cook because the BGE is so good at holding temps, and oh yeah, here is Car Wash Mike's recipe for ribs that AREN"T "fall of the bone" because only bone heads like it overcooked that way.

I'm not sure what was worse though, "boil the ribs in beer" to get a "smoky robust flavor" or cook them at 225 (not sure how he does that on an open grill) for 40 minutes, they definitely won't be "fall off the bone even" in that time. He may actually make Paul Peterson look more like Myron Mixon.
  • When I saw this guy in the clip I was thinking "Hi, this is vince from sh**#**!"

I don't normally do this, but I left discovery a note through their "viewer relations" form on their website. I hope the bold word below gets their attention.

==========
    If any viewer were to follow Kevin Roberts' suggestion and cook pork ribs for 45 minutes at 200*F on an open grill, they would not bring them to the USDA's minimum safe internal temperature of 160*F. Eating the resulting raw pork could easily cause foodborne illness and send the viewer to the hospital. This is a recipe for an instant lawsuit.

Please have your editors review the programs hosted by Kevin Roberts and cancel the program until you find a host who provides safe and useful information to your viewers.
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Kevin also has a site, I considered writing but figured it was pointless;

http://www.munchiestv.com/
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    He said "210-220 for 40 minutes tops" and thinks those meaty ribs will fall off the bone. :laugh:

The show will be off the air before ya know it.
  • Tweety
    Tweety Posts: 455
    Has the season started? I have it set on my DVR but haven't seen any shows yet. Was this just a promo for the season premier?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Tammie, He was a guest on the Today Show on msnbc. Tim
  • Tweety
    Tweety Posts: 455
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    He may actually make Paul Peterson look more like Myron Mixon.

Line of the day. I started to think that Peterson was coached to be that bad...no one could possibly be that stupid.