Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gator Bait! Lamb Dinner...

Options
ThunderBunny
ThunderBunny Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...I found one of your old posts on lamb chops. I cooked some tonight that I picked up this weekend.
Based on your recipe it was one of the best dinners I've cooked; a little salt, pepper, garlic pow and some Kitchen Bouquet.
Got a question though. These were little (I'll call them "medallion" sized) loin chops. I got the fire good and hot at 500*, sprinkled on some hickory chips, threw the meat on the fire and closed the lid.
I was expecting 2 1/2 minutes per side, but it took much longer than that to get to 125*(ish) internal when I pulled them.
Did I misread your recipe? How long should should those little suckers be on that fire? Lid open or closed??
I lucked out tonight, but thanks for that recipe. AMAZING supper!

Comments

• misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    I don't know about lamb chops, but ThunderBunny is a cool handle. :laugh:
  • ThunderBunny
    ThunderBunny Posts: 132
    Options
    Haha! Hey, not exactly what I was looking for, but I'll take it! Thanks!
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi ThunderBunny

First of all I'm delighted that recipe worked for you and you liked it. I may have to reread that post. OK, I have read my earlier post and I did say that I pulled them after 5 minutes! Hmmmmmm, now I'm confused. I'm going to have to cook these again and see where my error is. I know I treat them like a steak of similar thickness but on a raised grate but 5 minutes sounds to soon. I'm happy you were on your toes and caught that. The dome should be closed.

You didn't luck out, you did great! You took control of the situation and came through on top. Nice job! I don't think many recipes here are etched in stone and a tried and true science. There are many variables that can effect the out come and you have to be able to adapt, which you did nicely. This is cooking over charcoal, LOL, we aren't much better off then cavemen. :lol:

Gator