Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deviled egg question

Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody know what causes hard boiled egg shells to sometimes stick to the egg white and tear them up when peeling?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    The fresher the egg the more difficult to peel. -RP
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I hear that if they are a few weeks old that will not happen??? I sometimes poke a small needle hole in one end and a few tablespoons of vinegar in the water. don't do enough to analyse it.

These were made today.

DEVILEDEGGDSCN0205.jpg

Here is one recipe we like.

Appetizer, Eggs, Deviled, Crab

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Hard Boiled Eggs
    Crab Meat
    Mayonnaise
    Capers
    Scallions, Chopped
    Black Pepper, Cracked
    Chives, Diced

Preparation
    1 Cut eggs in half and take the yolks, mayo, crab meat, capers,to taste, scallion and mix into a paste. Stuff egg whites and garnish with black pepper and chopped chives or parsley.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Source: Austin's, Melbourne Florida, 2007/04/02
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Been on a long quest for a great hard boiled egg.

For a while I have been following the idea of putting the eggs in a pan and getting the water to a good boil. Pull the pan and let the eggs sit between 7 & 11 minutes to get a soft, medium or hard boiled egg.

This method gets a great tasting and bright yellow yoke with no 'green'. However, peeling the egg is a huge pain in the rear end. Always little pieces that are hard to remove from the egg. Carefully pulling the membrane between the shell and egg doesn't work either.

My old method is to cook the eggs at a boil for 11 to 15 minutes then pull from the heat. Drain and let cool.

The eggs taste good but there is some 'green' around yoke. The eggs peel great, huge chunks at a time and very little messing with the small shell pieces.

I like the eggs better in the first cook but it isn't worth the time to peel.

I haven't found fresh or eggs that have been in the fridge to be much difference in the peeling side of things.

Sure wish I could find the best of both.

GG
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    I've never had that problem. I bring the water to a rolling boil first. Then before I add each cold egg, I poke a small hole in the bottom of it using a sewing needle. I leave the eggs in boiling water for 15 minutes. After which, I empty the water and put the eggs under the faucet running cold water for 10 minutes or so--until the eggs are quite cool to touch. Then I smack one side of an egg against the corner of the counter one time and peel. Often they peel in one or two entire pieces.
  • Grandpas Grub

Interesting Richard... I remember putting some in cold water but I don't remember the peel after doing that. I will have to try that again.

Randy brought up the idea of fresh/old eggs. I have never seen much difference. I don't think I have intentionally wait 10 to 12 days before boiling an egg. I guess it is something I will have to give a try. I need to go look at the box aging code, that will be interesting.

Anyway good article and I will give some of those things a try.

All this has me wanting to make some potato salad.

Thanks for the link.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub

Other than poking a hole in the egg and the cold water (I put in the fridge) that is about what I do and usually get an easy peel.

When you poke a hole do you get the same type of leak as if an egg cracks when putting it in the pan? Do you put the hole in the small or larger rounded end - or do you care?

GG
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    When I poke the hole in the egg it does not leak much at all, but I am sure if you jam the needle deep in there it may, especially if you punctured the yolk. It leaks much more when you crack the egg dropping them in the water.

I generally put the needle in about 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch max.

I have put the hole in the top, as well as the bottom before. It doesn't effect the results, but I find that it is ususally easier to poke the hole on the broader underside than the pointy top.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I always just run cold water over the eggs while I am peeling. I never have any problem.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    You can place them in an ice water bath following cooking. It helps the shell to seperate better.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Instead of boiling:
    Steam for twelve minutes.
    Place in ice water for five minutes.
    Peal under running water.

My experience with fresh eggs (neighbor has chickens) is that the color is better and they are easier to peel than with any other method I have tried.
  • Grandpas Grub

Thanks for the information, it is interesting that there isn't much leaking with the hole...

GG