Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Length of Lump Bag

Options
shubydoobydo
shubydoobydo Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In honor of the poll... I would like to know how long does it take for you to go through a bag of Lump Charcoal?? What kind of Lump do you use??

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Too many variables, type of lump (royal oak for me most of the time) what you're cooking and how, hot and fast, low and slow, how thick/heavy is your meat,how often do you egg. A very hard question to answer.

Good Luck,

Bordello
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I agree with Bordello. But to usually a 20 pound back of Fire King will last 1 to 3 weeks depending on what and how often I cook.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    shubydoobydo, I use Royal Oak.

I don't have a definite answer on how long the bag lasts. Like Bob has said there are so many variables. I will tell you I cook and then smother the fire out. When I get ready to cook again I stir up the used lump so the ashes fall through the fire grate then I rake out the ashes and cook with the used lump. I do this over and over until it's time to add more lump. I more so remember how good the food tasted than how long the lump has lasted.

Now I do remember a time when I did two butt cooks back to back using one 8.8 pound bag of Greenwise (Royal Oak). The lump sustained a dome temp of 250° for close to 30 hours if I remember correctly. I was able to finish both cooks. Hope this helps. Tim :)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    On average, I get 10 cooks out of a 4 Kg bag of Cowboy. This is with re-using lump till it is small enough that it clogs the grate. During the winter, that is about a month. During summer vacation, that's a week.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Ozark Oak.Time varies.2-3 bags a week.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Royal Oak. 1 to 1.5 bgs per week.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    One cook I go through three bags. Wicked Good Charcoal..

But I am cooking on 6 eggs at a time :woohoo:
  • shubydoobydo
    shubydoobydo Posts: 115
    Options
    Wow! Some of you go through a lot of bags! For the first couple I was just looking for an average. I use about a bag a month. Thanks for all the replys.