Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on smoking a brisket

Egghead Ike
Egghead Ike Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone,

I am going to smoke my first brisket this weekend, and I was wondering if I need to marinade it overnight, or will a dry rub be enough. I don't think I'm going to have any issues with the brisket drying out, but I thought I would ask for advice before I do anything.

Thanks,

John in San Antonio

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    I did a brisket last week and all I did was the dry rub. It smoked for 12 hours and was very moist and tender. I had sauce available for those that wanted it and of those that used it, it was for the flavor not the meat. Here is a photo of the brisket when I was done.
    BrisketEvening.jpg
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Briskets are a tough cook. I was only batting .500 when I started. I cover mine with rub and then a lite coating of white sugar over nite. Something about breaking down the fat before cooking. The sugar will be gone in the morning, wipe off (if any) excess and add more rub.

Good luck.

Mike
  • I would definitely marinade or inject. Brisket is a drier cut of meat. And defintely cook fat side down. 9 out of 10 competitors cook it that way. They all can't be wrong.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Brisket is a tough (parden the pun) cook. I have two brisket write-ups in the recipe section of my site, link is below. Also look at Bubba Tim's brisket page. You can find it at http://bubbatim.com/

I see you are from San Antonio, have you ever eaten brisket at Rudy's?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hey Everyone, Thanks for the responses and advice. Thirdeye, I did read BubbaTim.com last night and I opted to try the au Jus injection. My brisket has been on ice since last night, and I'll get started with the mustard and dry rub around 7pm CST.

Yes, I have been to Rudy's BBQ many times. Pretty good eatin.