Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

picnic shoulders

Options
glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got 2 picnics on the egg, they have been there since 7:00 last night
dome has been between 200 and 220 most of the time with 1 spike to 240
it is now 9:44 ( so the cook has been going for 14 hours and 44 min)
internal is at 161 now and dome is at 218.
funny thing is when I got up the internal was 163 and I watched it fall back to 158 before coming back up to its current temp. is it a normal thing fro the internal to drop even though the dome stayed constant? I woke up at 4:00 this morning and checked on the temps
the internal was at 155 then.
Looks like that plateu thingie can last a while.
It is to late to ask now but with a picnic should the skin be up or down??
I cooked mine skin up thinking that the fat cap would be under the skin.
I guess I will find out soon
Glenn

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Glenn, it is pretty common for the temperature to drop slightly during plateau as the collagen breaks down. You have it positioned correctly...you should have some good pork soon.

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Glenn,
    Yep, things are coming along exactly as planned. The internal will move around the entire time. Anything between about 150° and 175° would be "normal." [p]You are waiting for it to begin an upward move that doesn't head South, while still maintaining a temp in that 225° range you have been shooting for. As it climbs past 185° or so, you could bump the temp in the egg a bit to help it along. I send it to 250°-275° depending upon how much of a hurry my schedule is in.[p]Mike in MN