Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

HELP....First Brisket

EGGs N@EGGs N@ Posts: 50
edited 3:46PM in EggHead Forum
I am doing my first brisket and I got it a Costco’s it is 4.5 lbs and about 3-4 inches thick. The thermometer in the Lg. Egg says 250 and its been on for 2.5 hrs. meat thermometer says 190…..is this possible? I have moved the thermometer in the meat to a second location same reading. Both thermometers have been calibrated using boiling method....HELP…is it done?
·

Comments

• TennisbumTennisbum Posts: 228
    are you cooking indirect? if yes then I am not sure what is going on.
    gp
    ·
  • EGGs N@EGGs N@ Posts: 50
    yes indirect...I am not sure if I should pull it off the EGG?
    ·
  • TennisbumTennisbum Posts: 228
    when you pick it up does it feel limber? or stiff?
    gp
    ·
  • CrueznCruezn Posts: 317
    If its done, the temp probe should go into the meat very easily, almost like butter. Were your thermometers calibrated recently?
    ·
  • CrueznCruezn Posts: 317
    Nevermind on the calibration question. I just re read your post.
    ·
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    :whistle:
    That's a leading questions if I ever heard one. :woohoo:

Regards,
    Bordello
    ·
  • EGGs N@EGGs N@ Posts: 50
    it feels fairly stiff
    ·
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    :silly: :woohoo: :whistle:

Cheers,
    Bordello
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,982
    sounds way to quick, maybe you hit the same or another fat pocket, maybe take a third reading. if it is 190, wrap it with foil and add a little broth and Worcestershire and continue cooking, maybe even drop the dome temps some to slow things down. if you add liquid, only add a couple ounces worth, you can cook to a higher temp if its still not done, 205/210 internal, worst that could happen is that it will turn to pulled beef
    ·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,339
    If your thermometer probe goes into and pulls out of the meat easily, then it's tender. Otherwise it needs to cook more. My guess is your cooking temp is actually higher than you think, and it may be 190 but can't be tender yet.

If the bark is set up nice and getting dark, could be time to wrap in foil. Bottom line is cook it until it's tender.

Good luck!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·