Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I Just waste my time?

Options
loxic
loxic Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Got my egg a few weeks back and the poor fellow has been hanging out on the ground on my porch. I am building a table out of 1x6 trex decking. The table is made entirely out of trex decking, I probably over built the frame and supports but was concerned about the strength of the trex. I am concerned that I have wasted my time after reading some of the discussion regarding the low melting point of trex. I have put a lot of time into this project is there anything I can do to salvage it.

Comments

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I think you'll be ok w/ a stone under the egg and if the hole fer the egg has ample breathing room. You could always find a spare piece of granite to make the top out of ifin it melts....After I build mine, I'll post step pics :blink:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    loxic,

You will be fine in regards to the melting if you have a 2" thick paver and then the three little green feet on top of that and then your egg on the 3 feet. You NEED the solid piece of concrete or stone and the airspace. 1 foot in back under the hinge and the other 2 spaced equally around the front.

Regarding the strength of the material. Assuming you through bolted all the high stress joints (ie. bottom shelf connection to the posts) and not just running screws into the composite material.

The table top is probably not the best spot for the Trex. It will stain like crazy and may have melting issues around the hole for the egg. These babies get really flippin hot and sometimes they stay hot most of the day.

Good luck
  • loxic
    loxic Posts: 25
    Options
    Table is finally done seared filets at about 625 tonight composite stayed cool the entire time. I think I will be in the clear thanks for the advice.