Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Update on my butt...

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put the 6.9 pounder on at midnight last night, but I struggled mightily to get the temp stabalized below 250. It kept wanting to be 300ish. No worries. Once I got my drunk brother in law to stop touching it, I got it back to 240 and went to bed. [p]I wasn't planning to check on it, but luckily (I use that term loosely) my daughter woke up crying at 2:30 so I checked, and the temp was stable at 230 and the meat was fine. [p]I woke up this morning in a panic at 6:15, sure the fire was out. No worries. The meat was at 150 and the Egg was at 235. [p]It is now 7:30 and the meat is at 152 and I am fighting every urge I have to peek at the roast. I won't, but I just want the roast to know that I could.[p]More later...

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Take the daisy wheel off real quick and shine a falshlight down there. That way the meat will know that you really care, and more importantly it will get those tastebuds flowing.

• Pot Licker
    Pot Licker Posts: 21
    Options
    Mark, I am in the same boat, minus the Brother in law, I started about 8-ish and decided that the temp would be fine at 1:30AM. At 6:00 this morning my internal BBQ clock went off and I found everything to be good in the world, temp 235, butt 183, it's going to be a great day.

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I am just about to start my own adventure in butt
    I have a whole shoulder thawed and ready to prep
    (butt and picnic section) bought it at a local butcher shop a couple of months ago for .59 a pound couldnt resist
    got 28 pounds o pig
    gonna cook it all at once.
    Anyhow I did a boston butt last weekend and made a whole slew of abt's and tookem to work. actualy most of the slew got et by my teenagers so I shared what wus left with my co-horts at work but now I am being accused of being politicaly incorect because those folks in the office that didnt get one feel "excluded" so to keep from having to go to sensitivity class I am making anothe 3 dozen to take to work on Monday.
    So my poor family will have to eat pulled pork samages and buffalo turds again this week. Life is tough
    Glenn

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]I didn't use the flashlight, but I called the wife outside and together we lifted the daisy wheel for a quick peek and let me tell you, that thing looks awesome. [p]Wife was never sold on the mustard coating before the rub. She thought it just made the rub fall off, which it usually did. This time, I rubbed it with a little brown sugar and then put our local meat seller's rub on it, and I think that made all the difference. [p]By the way, at the present time the egg is at 240 and the meat is still at 152. I guess this is that plateau thingy ya'll talk about. [p]I am so confident in my egg and the process that the family and I are off momentarily to the suwanee farmer's market. [p]I will update you upon our return. Keep your fingers crossed that some squirrel doesn't come open up the daisy wheel and cause me a problem. :)
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]Sounds like pulled pork for diner tonight! Do you have sides planned too!?[p]Smokey
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I hadn't really gotten that far, as I was so sure I would mess this up already. I think that some homemade slaw and tater tots are in order.[p]My favorite part of this whole process was when neighbors last night were asking "why are you making this butt?" or "who is coming over to eat it?" [p]My answers were "because I wanted to try making one" and "I don't know...what are YOU doing tomorrow about 6pm?"[p]You got dinner plans Smokey?
  • Smokey
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]I have a skirt steak marinating in some site soy sauce with fresh garlic, and roasted peppers. It's a VERY easy meal that the wife likes. I'll make some mashed potatoes and salad to go along with it. [p]I also think i do a butt tonight. all of the butt talk this morning is making me hungry (may do a brisket too)!![p]Smokey

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    Smokey,
    I have been wantin to do a brisket, but I havent had any luck gettin em to come out right, Either tough or dry or dry and tough cant seem to figure it out
    My wife likes the beef sandwiches that Sony's Barbque sell
    how does one make somthing come out like that
    do they use brisket or somethin else like maybe a chuck roast and slice it real thin???
    Glenn

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Sounds great. Get the slaw started right away. It's better when it sits a while.[p]Are you making any sauces for the pork?

• Unknown
    Options
    Mark (and other pulled pork experts)[p]I guess I'm right behind you. I started my butt (8 1/2 lbs.) at 11pm last night. I tried to keep the dome at 200, but when I got up this morning it was at 190. I opened it up to 225, and the meat temp at 9:45 was 144. Any thoughts on how high to take it (195 maybe), and how much longer it's likely to take?

• BucsFanJim
    BucsFanJim Posts: 161
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Just about brings a tear to your eye doesn't it? At least that's how I felt when I did the first lo n slo.
    Enjoy!

• Smokey
    Options
    Glenn,[p]I'm no expert of brisket (and have some a few with less that pleasing results). I found that wrapping in foil once it reached 150 degrees (just at the beginning of the plateau) produced moister, better results. Also, resting in foil in a cooler with towels (for more insulation)for at least 2 hours helps!
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Joe Owen,[p]It's my first too, so I have no idea about time. What I read was to take it to 185, then open the bottom vent wide until you hit 195-200. Take it off, foil wrap, towel wrap, put in cooler until internal is 175. I'm just hoping it's ready in time for dinner. :)
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Daddyo,[p]We aren't fancy enough yet to make sauces, but we've got some we've always liked, but I can't remember the names. I will have to get back to you on that. My sister in law's making the slaw, fried okra and something else. Should be yummy.
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]Butt update: It is now 10:40am, and I just got back from the Suwanee "farmer's market," which turned out to be 7 ladies selling tomatoes. Oh well.[p]Anywhoo, the dome temp is 230 and the meat just hit 157. It stayed at 152 for almost 3 hours. It smells so good on my deck I fear for my safety as neighbors begin following their noses to my back yard. I am preparing a water balloon arsenal for the protection of my wife and child.[p]More to come...
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]Suwannee farmers market? As in Suwannee, FL? We're in Alachua, but head out that direction often to go to the state park and to kayak the rivers...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Mark Backer
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Alas qbabe, we're in suwanee, ga. sometimes I wish it was florida, but...
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    You're a lucky man....we don't have fresh tomatoes, yet. Or fresh corn on the cob, yet.....[p]
    Mike in MN

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]Yeah, but it's 140 degrees kelvin here with about 98% humidity. I wouldn't trade it for seven months of winter, but still...[p](by the way, I'm originally from anoka. Where are you in MN?)
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Grew up in Osseo. Lived in Dayton for awhile, and now we live in Brooklyn Park...(North of 85th)...if you know what I mean.[p]
    Mike in MN

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    mark backer,
    Sauce is a 5 minute mix job with a 20 minute simmer (If you've got the ingredients on hand). Elder Ward's Piedmont recipe:[p]1 cup ketchup
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 onion chopped fine
    3 cloves chopped garlic
    2 tbs brown sugar
    2 tbs molasses
    2 tbs dried mustard
    1 tbs cayenne[p]Simmer 20 minutes on very low heat. Put a bowl on the table for dipping or pouring over your meat.