Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

raccoon removal tips?

Options
Hungry Celeste
Hungry Celeste Posts: 534
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Mama & 3-4 baby raccoons are living in my eaves...managed with the help of a wildlife removal service, to trap three of the babies, but no luck getting mama. Using 1 baby in a trap as bait right now, still no luck. Anyone out there have some raccoon trapping tips? (humane only, please)

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    What are you putting in the traps to lure her in?

They absolutely cannot resist shiny objects. If you have a silver glittery or faceted christmas ornament then hang it in the trap like a miniature disco ball.

Are you sure the trap you are using is large enough for her to enter?

If you give up on the "humane only" options let me know ;)
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Peanut Butter & Jelly! They love it!!!
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    my better half is a member of the animal law section of the state bar assn....we won't be giving up the humane options, ever. Anyway, we caught three babies, used one as a bait for a day or two, and still no mama. I haven't heard her scuffling around for several days. The sticky-sweet bait attracted the young'uns, but mama's either too crafty or too big to fit inside the trap. I'll find some mylar and see if I can't lure her inside with decor (and wet cat food). Thanks for the tips. Don't want to close up the point of entry until I'm sure she's gone.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    They are a wily lot. When I was a boy I used to get a gallon milk bottle, they were glass then, and wrap heavy wire around the neck of the bottle and the other end around a tree. Cook up a nice batch of Chicken legs on your egg and enjoy. Take a remaining leg bone and put it in the milk bottle. The interloper will grab it and not be able to get his/her hand out of the bottle. They will allow you to walk right up to them rather than release the egged bone. What you do then is up to you. :laugh:

Good luck
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Another option is shells/remains from fresh-cooked lobster, crab, shrimp, etc. Makes their socks roll up & down!~`~
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I can just hear the local TV news screaming now:
    Animal Law Section member of the state bar assn holds baby coon hostage! Mother Raccoon hysterical! A-Team hired to rescue terrified baby! Details at 10!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.