Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Cookbook

Options
What's Handle?
What's Handle? Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im looking to find new recipes to be used on my big green egg. Im wondering if anyone has bought the big green egg cookbook and what there thoughts are on it? Is it worth the 60 dollar price tag. Any other suggestions for cookbooks for the egg?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You can check out the "recipes and cookbooks" section of my website below...should be enough there to keep you busy for a while..
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    What are you looking to try? The cookbook industry is exploding, take your pick. If it can be cooked on a stove, in an oven, or on a grill, chances are good it can be cooked in your egg.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    The eggtoberfest recipes are on the right.

Mike
  • vohsmk
    vohsmk Posts: 40
    Options
    I bought the BGE Cookbook. Paid $50 for it from my BGE store. I use it as a reference but usually end up doing my own thing or using the recipes posted on this site. What I do like about it for someone who is new to the BGE is that it tells you what temperature/direct or indirect. That has been a big help and worth the price for me. :cheer:
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    I also own the BGE Cookbook and love it for cooking temps and ideas mostly. The price is a little steep but I think it was worth it!
  • shesmokes
    shesmokes Posts: 24
    Options
    I love the new cookbook! I agree with a previous post that telling you the temp / indirect vs. direct and which accessories are most useful made the book worth it for me! the beer brined chicken is my fave so far!
  • ChargerGuy
    Options
    shesmokes, just out of curiosity did you use your own rub or the basic one in the book? I am looking at trying it in the next couple of days!
  • shesmokes
    shesmokes Posts: 24
    Options
    no, I cheated and used some dizzy dust ( dizzy pig)!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Use the money you save by not buying the book on other BGE stuff.
    You can get all you could ever cook right here.
    Hve the book, do not use it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ChargerGuy
    Options
    Awesome, I just happen to have some handy! :)
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I got the cookbook for my birthday, and haven't had a chance to go through the whole thing, but I will say, based on what I've read so far....get started with the recipe section to the right and put it on your Christmas list. It's a nice book, made a fantastic gift, I really really like it, but there is enough here on this site to keep me plenty busy.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I have the book and really like it.I like all of the pictures in the book also.I have Ray's (drbbq) books and they are really good...You never can have too many bbq books.

Larry
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    ChargerGuy wrote:
    I also own the BGE Cookbook and love it for cooking temps and ideas mostly. The price is a little steep but I think it was worth it!

this is my same answer.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have one, $50 at my dealer. It is a beautiful book and worth having, lots of good recipes, etc, but for an all-around grilling/smoking handbook I would go with Weber's [I know, I know] "Way to Grill" by Jamie Purveance. It is 20 bucks, extremely well written and illustrated, and it includes preparation techniques [how to remove the membrane from ribs, how to trim St Louis style], all with pictures. There are temp charts, recipes for lord know how many rubs, sauces, and marinades, along with guidlines on what goes with what.
    You can probably tell I am high on this book. I have never owned a Weber and never will, but I think this is one of the better "Grillin' & Smokin'" books out there. I love my BGE book, but this one is a better value and I think, more useful B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • wishfullracer
    Options
    I have a Big Green Egg Cookbook for sale if anyone is interested. I had one and received another one when I bought a large. Brand new and hardcover. How about $40.00 including shipping. Let me know, nasc_art@verizon.net, thanks.