Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does this make sense??

OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
G'day fellow eggers!

Looking for some input here (questions, comments, threats?)

Planning a lil BBQ for next friday - 6 people total (adults).

I'm going to do a boneless prime rib roast (I figure about a 4-5 pounder).

Temp: 325-350

Platesetterlegs up
Drip pan with some carrots, onion, potato, garlic, salt n pepper, red wine
Roast on the roasting rack with just salt and pepper (or maybe a rub of some type? Don't want to mask the flavour - just add to it with the wood)

Mesquite wood

I'm going to heat up the egg with the platesetter and drip pan in it. I figure a 4-5 pound roast won't take more than around an hour or so and I want the veggies to be done when the roast is. So, once the egg is at 350, I drop in the drip pan with the veggies for about 1/2 hour then plunk the roast on a rack above the pan.

I'm thinking once the roast is done, while its resting I'll use the juices in the drip pan to make a sauce.

Am I making any sense here?

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I did a 1/2 roast over Christmas and cooked it at 250 for 3 hours until internal meat temp hit 125. It was very good! A rib roast is fairly fatty so I believe a low and slow is warranted. The other benefit of slow cooking is the meat is done throughout the cross section of the roast ie: outside well done with bloody center. There is no wrong way and hopefully others will chime in.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I might wrap the veggies initially in foil to keep even more of the moisture in and then open it up once I put the meat on. The added benefit is you have something else to protect the drip pan and make clean-up a bit easier.

But none of that makes sense unless I'm invited. :-)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tim,

I'm with Tim on this :laugh: Low and slow. I would think twice on mesquite as well. I don't like the flavour.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• OttawaEgg
    I see a couple recommendations for "low n slow"... but this is a "prime rib" - only boneless. I've done one before at about 325-350 - turned out perfect. Super tender n juicy. Just wondering if low n slow is a bit much for such a cut?

I tend to use the foil drip pans no clean up hehe. I'll remember the dip about covering the veggies for the first while too - good idea.

As for wood, I just toss in a piece or two of mesquite - I love the flavour and with just salt and pepper on the roast, it adds a nice lil smoky zip to it.
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    I've never cooked prime rib, so I can't chime in on whether low & slow or a little hotter cook would be better. However, I do agree on using just salt & pepper for your seasoning. If you have a good quality piece of beef like that, the S & P helps bring out the flavor of the beef itself without masking it.

Personally I would use a different wood than mesquite for that particular cook, but if you like it I don't think one or two pieces of mesquite would hurt anything.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    The last one I did was per the Mad Max method, take the Egg to 500, put the roast in and set the vents for 350. Pull when the internal temp reaches 125. -RP
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    I'm a big Egger doing slow first sear last, 250 till 125, let it rest for 15-20 minutes, then sear the outside. One huge advantage of doing the slow first, If you cook it at 325-350 and you take it till it is done, then someone is late or things go wrong you meat is now cooked, no taking it back. Doing the slow first, and you got it to 120-125 and things go wrong you can hold off the sear for quite a bit and wont loose the meat to over cooking. I also do my tri-tips this same way. Also my whole turkey breasts and a few other items.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    There is nothing wrong with cooking at a higher temp but you will get the well done outside and rare center. I would rather the entire roast was medium rare but that's just me. Rib roasts are similar to butts...hard to screw up unless you overcook the meat.
  • Just adding to the low and slow pile, I follow Thirdeyes instructions and they work great.

Doug
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I would really rethink the mesquite wood. Seems very tasty after that.

Mike
  • OttawaEgg
    Well, thanks for all the comments so far - getting a bit indecisive...

Getting a thumbs down on the mesquite - is there another I should use? I even have a couple of wine barrel staves.

As for the roast itself, I'm probably looking at a medium doneness - the guests like their beef done medium to medium well (savages! LOL).

I like thirdeye's idea for the au jus too.
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Tim,

I am partial to cherry wood when I cook up beef.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• OttawaEgg
    Cherry eh? hmmmm.... I just happen to have some too !

Thanks
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I'm for the lower temp as well. You can still cook a little longer if you like(or your guests)to get medium.
    For you guests that like well done I normally toss the sliced piece back on the grill for 30 seconds a side.
    I would also stay with a mellow wood. Apple or cherry is always nice.
    Let us know how it worked out.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The only thing I would do differently is first to put the roast on at 450 and then drop it down to 350 or lower after 15-20 minutes. This promotes a better sear on the outside.