Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit Probes

Options
grillking
grillking Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You guys and gals are great! I am enjoying my new BGE, thanks for all the help on gaskets, now what is the best pit probe out there?

Comments

• boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Options
    Depends on what you want, the Stoker is pretty darned fancy.
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    Most seem to go with Maverick 73 from my research. Whatever you go with, you want something with a remote. As in set by your bed so if in the middle of the night the fire goes out or wild, you can be alerted and adjust. My first setup had no remote, so lost my first butt. I love having a unit that has both the food and grill (dome) temp on it. Now I'm not constantly going in and out to check both.
  • grillking
    grillking Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks h20. Which unit comes with both food and grill temp on them as you mentioned
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    Maverick 73 does, not sure which others. It was only ~$35 from Amazon.
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    Grillking, I have the Maverick-73 as well and it has saved me a couple of times. It is nice to have the remote and you will be amazed the difference between grid temp and dome temp. My first butt I did at 250 grid which was about 290 dome! If I went with just dome temp I would have been cooking it at 330 grid.
  • Jayeffel
    Jayeffel Posts: 13
    Options
    The Maverick 73 is what I have, what many others recommend also. Can be obtained from various sources, Amazon.com may be easiest.

It has two units with it, One u nit has the probes, one for the food item, one for the heat source, clips onto grill grid, The other unit can be [placed up to 100 feet away and the the fist unit sends temps via radio signal. Their are directions on the web on how to increase that range if you desire.

The unit can be used many way 1) simply read temps as you cook 2) set temp and it will tell when that temp is reached (food only ) 3) set time for cook. 4) set the unit to tell when high and low temps for smoking are reached. Pretty versatile., and easy to use. I only use it to read temps as I cook at present.